Nurse Extern Program FAQs
See a Video:
Nursing at Fox Chase
Topics in This Section
What Makes Fox Chase Unique
Read more »
« Nurse Extern Program
Print the FAQWho is eligible for the program?
Download the prntable versions of the reference form and answers to frequently asked questions.
Students entering their senior year of a BSN program are eligible to apply for the Extern Program.
- When do you apply?
The application process is closed. We are no longer accepting applications.
- How do you apply?
An application packet including all of the following components must be mailed to Bernadette Ciukurescu, BSN, RN-BC Coordinator, Continuing Nursing Education and Staff Development (see 12, below):
- professional resume
- two professional letters of reference:
- recent medical-surgical instructor REQUIRED. This reference must be on the form available at: http://www.fccc.edu/careers/nursing/graduate
- additional clinical instructor, employer reference, or professional affiliate (this reference may be narrative or use the same form)
- copy of your transcript, including your most recent grades
- Do you have pediatrics?
No, Fox Chase Cancer Center is an all adult oncology population.
- When does the program start?
It will begin on Monday, June 3rd, 2013.
- How long is it?
The program length is 8 weeks.
- What will my schedule be like?
You will follow your preceptor's schedule, which may include 8 or 12-hour shifts, weekends and some rotation. The focus for externs is predominantly day shift but rotation exposes the student to all aspects of patient care.
- What specialty areas are available?
Observation days are available in the Operating Room, PACU (Post-Anesthesia Care Unit), Palliative Care, Interventional Radiology, Radiation Therapy, Infusion Room, and Intensive Care. Occasionally, 1-2 externs may be hired for an externship in the Intensive Care Unit.
- What is the salary?
This is an unpaid externship. We believe the clinical skills you will acquire working side by side with an experienced oncology nurse will enhance your career. We are giving you a chance to experience the clinical setting without the stress of school.
- What educational opportunities are available?
Externs have a weekly conference on oncology topics presented by a Fox Chase Cancer Center expert. These interactive learning experiences provide an opportunity for the student to integrate recent clinical experiences and the knowledge of an oncology expert.
- May I continue working during the school year?
If there are open positions and your nurse manager approves, you may apply for a CNA position.
- Who is the contact person if I have questions about applying for the program?
Bernadette Ciukurescu, BSN, RN-BC
Coordinator, Continuing Nursing Education and Staff Development
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111