Nurse Extern Program
in This Section
What Makes Fox Chase Unique
Read more »
The Nurse Extern Program at Fox Chase Cancer Center is a structured educational and clinical program for nursing students with an interest in oncology nursing. The program is held the summer before the senior year in nursing school. Student nurse externs work full time for eight weeks with registered nurse preceptors in the inpatient clinical setting.
Weekly educational sessions designed specifically for the Nurse Extern Program are offered. While a variety of topics are included, some highlights are:
- Palliative Care
- Safe Handling of Chemotherapy
- Care and Treatment Modalities for Site Specific Cancers
- Pain Assessment and Management
- Skin Care
- Nursing Workforce Issues
The program offers additional opportunities for the student nurse extern including:
- Participation in educational programs for RN staff
- Observation experiences
- Interventional Radiology
- Operating Room
- Intensive Care Unit
- Infusion Room
- Wound and Ostomy Care Rounds
- Palliative Care/Hospice
- Post Anesthesia Care Unit
Our program is rich in clinical and teambuilding experiences and provides the student opportunities to utilize critical thinking in an acute care patient setting.
No longer accepting applications for the 2015 Externship.
Please note we have a very limited number of openings and despite offering this program without monetary compensation, it is a competitive acceptance process. Students may also investigate obtaining academic credit for independent study with their college prior to starting the program.
How do you apply?
An application packet including all of the following;
- professional resume
- two professional letters of reference [PDF]
- recent medical-surgical instructor REQUIRED.
- additional clinical instructor, employer reference, or professional affiliate (this reference may be narrative or use the same form)
- copy of your transcript, including your most recent grades
- Send to
Deena Dell, MSN, RN-BC, AOCN, LNC,
Clinical Nurse Specialist
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111
For questions, contact Deena Dell, Deena.Dell@fccc.edu.