Marlyn R. Fein Chapter
The Marlyn Fein Chapter of the Fox Chase Cancer Center was formed in 1976, after the death of a courageous young woman's battle with osteogenic sarcoma, a rare bone cancer. Marlyn Chakov Fein was first diagnosed in September 1970 at the age of nineteen and fought her illness for six years. In spite of all the treatments and experimental drugs, Marlyn developed a brain tumor in 1973. At that point, the love of her life, Frank Fein, insisted that they get married and fight this disease together. Marlyn and Frank lived together for only one year when Marlyn's lungs began to deteriorate. By December of 1975 doctors preformed a surgical procedure to sever the major nerves in hopes of alleviating the constant pain that even morphine could not help.
One week after the operation Marlyn's doctor discovered that she was seven months pregnant. On December 21, 1975, Marlyn delivered a healthy 3 pound 15 ounce baby girl. Mother and daughter would never know each other because on January 23, 1976, one month after the birth of her beautiful baby, Marlyn died at the age of 25.
As a tribute to his beloved wife and mother of their daughter, Rachel Faith Fein, Frank Fein, along with the help of grieving parents, Ruth and Max Chakov, and Dave and Wilma Fein and Aunt Harriet Kauffman, started this group to ease the family's pain and help in the fight against human cancer and help ease the pain of other patients going through this tribulation.
The Marlyn Fein Chapter now has 222 hard working members who spend their valuable time raising monies for Fox Chase Cancer Center. Their many events each year bring in a wonderful donation for cancer research and patient care. Please look for these events and help support them so that this Chapter can aid in the best care and research at Fox Chase Cancer Center.
For more information on any of these events, please contact the Marlyn R. Fein Chapter.
- August 2015: Marlyn Fein Chapter – Macy's Shop for A Cure Contact Debbie at 215-552-9216.
- September through January 2016: Marlyn Fein Chapter – Mah Jongg Cards Contact the Board of Associates at 215-728-2441 or Joyce at 215-886-8670
- October 24–November 1, 2015: Marlyn Fein Chapter – Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Bahamas Cruise Contact Selma Bell, 215-860-3710
- November through December 2015: Marlyn Fein Chapter – Entertainment Book Sales PA and NJ (FCCC Cafeteria). Contact the Board of Associates at 215-728-2441
- November through December 24, 2015: Marlyn Fein Chapter – Holiday Gift Wrapping (Willow Grove Mall) Contact Harriet Kauffman at 215-969-8366
Topics in This Section