News &
Publications

Contacts

Lisa Bailey
Interim Director of Communications
Director of Social Networking
215-214-3954
215-872-5846 (cell phone)
Lisa.Bailey@fccc.edu

Diana Quattrone
Director of Media Relations
215-728-7784
215-815-7828 (cell phone)
Diana.Quattrone@fccc.edu

Communications Staff

 

News

Fox Chase Cancer Center Offers Free Screening for Breast Cancer, by Appointment Only

PHILADELPHIA (May 24, 1999) -- Fox Chase Cancer Center is offering free breast-cancer screening, by appointment only, for uninsured or underinsured women 40 and older who have not been diagnosed with breast cancer. Women should call Fox Chase at 215-728-3622 to schedule a free physical breast examination in June and a free mammogram in July as part of this program, sponsored by the American Cancer Society.

Physicians will do the physical breast exams the evening of Thursday, June 17 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Women will also receive instruction in breast self-examination at that time.

Only women who have the physical breast exam will be eligible for a free mammogram. The free mammograms will be done on Tuesday, July 6 and Monday, July 19 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

To schedule appointments for both the free breast exam and free mammogram, call Pat Stanley at 215-728-3622 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Since free appointment times are limited, check your health-insurance coverage before calling. Many health plans cover screening mammograms. Medicare covers 80 percent of charges for a yearly screening mammogram, but the woman is responsible for paying the remaining 20 percent.

Fox Chase Cancer Center is one of 35 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the nation. The Center's activities include basic and clinical research, prevention, detection and treatment of cancer and community outreach programs.


Fox Chase Cancer Center, part of the Temple University Health System, is one of the leading cancer research and treatment centers in the United States. Founded in 1904 in Philadelphia as one of the nation’s first cancer hospitals, Fox Chase was also among the first institutions to be designated a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Center in 1974. Fox Chase researchers have won the highest awards in their fields, including two Nobel Prizes. Fox Chase physicians are also routinely recognized in national rankings, and the Center’s nursing program has received the Magnet recognition for excellence four consecutive times. Today, Fox Chase conducts a broad array of nationally competitive basic, translational, and clinical research, with special programs in cancer prevention, detection, survivorship, and community outreach.  For more information, call 1-888-FOX CHASE or (1-888-369-2427).

Media inquiries only, please contact Diana Quattrone at 215-728-7784.

More 1999 News Releases »