Fox Chase Cancer Center Physicians Get Top Billing in Philadelphia Magazine's Top Docs 2002
PHILADELPHIA (May 8, 2002) -- Philadelphia Magazine has selected 24 physicians from Fox Chase Cancer Center for its May 2002 exclusive list of "Top Docs 2002." According to Philadelphia Magazine writer Carol Saline, the list favors those physicians at academic research centers.
"In our opinion, a top doctor earns the title by being a top-drawer clinician and by teaching and conducting research that gets published in medical journals," Saline explains.
The survey of top physicians in the Philadelphia area was achieved by asking doctors to identify their peers who are leaders in several different subspecialties. The polling was done on a special website set up by Philadelphia Magazine, which garnered more than 4,000 responses.
In the Top Docs 2002 article, Saline acknowledges the possible attempt to stuff the ballot box. "A doctor who had five votes was given the same consideration as one who had 75 votes. Before making the final choices, we vetted each doctor on the working list by interviewing four or more physicians in the same specialty." She adds, "It's not a perfect system, but it's as close as we can come to avoiding a popularity contest."
This year's "Top Doc 2002" list of Fox Chase Cancer Center physicians are listed below by specialty.
- Lori J. Goldstein, M.D., breast cancer. Director, Breast Evaluation Center; Leader, Breast Cancer Research Program
- Gary Hudes, M.D., genitourinary cancer
- Cory Langer , M.D., lung cancer
- Neal Meropol, M.D., gastrointestinal cancer. Director, Gastrointestinal Tumor Risk Assessment Program
- Robert Ozols, M.D., Ph.D., ovarian cancer. Senior vice-president, Medical Science
- Mitchell Smith, M.D., Ph.D., hematological cancer. Director, Hematology Service
- Joseph Treat, M.D., lung cancer. Vice-chairman, Department of Medical Oncology of the Fox Chase-Temple Cancer Center
- Louis Weiner, M.D., gastrointestinal cancer. Chairman, Department of Medical Oncology
- Eric Horwitz, M.D., prostate cancer
- Benjamin Movsas, lung cancer. Vice chairman, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Alan Pollack, M.D., Ph.D., prostate cancer. Chairman, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Richard Greenberg, M.D., urology. Chief, Urologic Oncology
- Robert Uzzo, M.D., urology
- Melvin Goldberg, M.D., cardio-thoracic. Vice chairman, Department of Surgical Oncology; chief, Thoracic Surgical Oncology
- Marcia Boraas, M.D., breast
- Michael Torosian, M.D., breast. Clinical director, Breast Surgical Research
- Burton Eisenberg, M.D. gastrointestinal, sarcomas. Chairman, Department of Surgical Oncology
- John Hoffman, M.D., breast
- Norman Rosenblum, M.D., Ph.D., gynecologic cancer. Chief, Gynecological Oncology
- Elin Sigurdson, M.D., Ph.D., breast, gastrointestinal
- Joseph DiBello, M.D., reconstructive surgery
- Stuart Lessin, M.D., director of dermatology and director of the Melanoma Family Risk Assessment Program
- Michael Levy, M.D., Ph.D. Director of the Supportive Oncology Care Program
- Michael Unger, M.D. Director of the Pulmonary Cancer Detection and Prevention Program; and director of the Pulmonary Endoscopy and High-Risk Lung Cancer Program
Fox Chase Cancer Center, part of Temple University Health System, is one of the leading cancer research and treatment centers in the United States. Founded in 1904 in Philadelphia as one of the nation’s first cancer hospitals, Fox Chase also was among the first institutions to receive the National Cancer Institute’s prestigious comprehensive cancer center designation in 1974. Fox Chase researchers have won the highest awards in their fields, including two Nobel Prizes. Fox Chase physicians are routinely recognized in national rankings, and the Center’s nursing program has achieved Magnet status for excellence three consecutive times. Fox Chase conducts a broad array of nationally competitive basic, translational, and clinical research and oversees programs in cancer prevention, detection, survivorship, and community outreach. For more information, call 1-888-FOX-CHASE (1-888-369-2427).