Gary Cohen, MD
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Department of Diagnostic Imaging
Temple University Hospital and Temple East;
Chief of Service,
Department of Diagnostic Imaging
Temple University Hospital;
Medical Director, Medical Director Department Diagnostic Imaging,
Chief Section of Vascular & Interventional Radiology,
Temple University Health Science Center;
Professor of Vascular/Interventional Radiology,
Temple University Health Sciences Center and School of Medicine
Top Doctors 2014
Chief, Interventional Radiology
Interventional Oncology, Microwave, Cryo Ablation. TIPS, y90 therapies. Vascular Intervention & Stenting
American Board of Radiology;
National Board of Medical Examiners, Diplomat
MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, 1988
Radiology Resident, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, 1988 - 1992
Chief Resident, Radiology, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, 1990 - 1991
Vascular/Interventional Radiology, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, 1991-1993
Honors and Awards
Philadelphia Magazine, “Top Doctors” Vascular/Interventional Radiology, 2004-2009, 2014
American College of Radiology;
Pennsylvania Medical Society;
Society of Interventional Radiology;
Philadelphia Angiography Society;
Co-Chairman, Program Committee of Philadelphia Angiography Society 1995-1996
Liver Cancer, y90, Ablation Therapies
- Lapin EP, Cohen GS, et al: Unilateral Dopaminergic Lesions Impair Cognitive Spatial Behavior in the Rat. "Eighth International Symposium on Parkinson's Disease", pp. 131, 1985.
- Lapin EP, Maker HS, Cohen GS, et al. Interaction of Nicotine With Rat Brain Dopamine Neurons. "Transactions of the American Society For Neurochemistry", 16:133, 1985.
- Lapin EP, Maker HS, Cohen GS, et al.: Impairment of Cognition by a Unilateral Dopaminergic Lesion. "Transaction of The American Society For Neurochemistry, 17:244, 1986.
- Lapin EP, et al., with acknowledgement of Cohen GS: Dopamine-like Action of Nicotine: Lack of Tolerance and Reverse Tolerance, Brain Research, 407:351-363, 1987.
- Miller JA, Cohen GS, Warshaw R, Kilburn K: Choice (CRT) and simple reaction times (SRT) compared in laboratory technicians: factors influencing reaction and a predictive model. Am J Ind Med 19:687-697, 1989.
- Cohen GS, Ball, DS: Delayed Migration of Wallstent After TIPSS Procedure: Relocation with a Loop Snare. JVIR, 4:561-563, 1993.
- Comerota AJ, Cohen GS: Overview of Thrombolytic Therapy in Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease: Mechanisms of Action and Drugs Available. Canadian Journal of Radiology, 36:4, 1993.
- Flynn DE, Caroline DF, Gembala RB, Ball DS, Radecki PD, Cohen GS: "Urinoma Secondary to Surgical Spinal Fusion: Radiologic Diagnosis and Treatment. Abdom Imaging, 18:292-294, 1993.
- Cohen GS, Radecki PD, Ball DS, Gembala RB: Sonographic Appearance of Gas Containing Inferior Vena Cava Thrombus: J. Ultrasound Med 13:222-224, 1994.
- Cohen GS, Ball DS, Wurzel J, et al. Peliosis Hepatis Mimicking Hepatic Abscess: Fatal Outcome Following Percutaneous Drainage: JVIR, 5:643-645, 1994.
- McGuckin, JF, Ball D., Cohen GS, Flynn D, Krouse S: Infusion Catheter Protection Using A Standard Ostomy System, JVIR, Vol 6, No. 2, 289-290.
- Comerota AJ, Aldridge SC, Cohen GS, Ball DS, Pliskin M, White JV; "A Strategy of Aggressive Regional Therapy for Acute Iliofemoral Venous Thrombosis with Contemporary Venous Thrombectomy or Catheter-Directed Thrombolysis"; J Vasc Surg, 20:244-54, 1994.
- Miller LS, Schiano TD, Hills C, Ter H, Bellary S, Black M, Cohen GS, Ball DS: The Correlation Between Increased Colloid Osmotic Pressure and the Resolution of Refractory Ascites After Transjuglular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt. Hepatology, February 1995.
- Cohen GS, Ball DS: Transjugular Transhepatic Placement of a Superior Mesenteric Vein Stent for Small Bowel Varices. JVIR, 6:707-710, 1995.
- Cohen GS, Braunstein L, Ball DS, Roberto PJ, Reich J, Phillip H: Selective Vascular Embolization of Priapism in the Presence of Trauma. CVIR, 19:47-49, 1996.
- Cohen GS, Ball DS, Braunstein L: Effort Thrombosis: Effective Treatment with Vascular Stent After Unrelieved Venous Stenosis Following a Surgical Release Procedure. CVIR, 19:37-39, 1996.
- Cohen GS, Ball, DS: Interventional Techniques for Genitourinary Trauma. Trauma Quarterly, 111-133, October 1996.
- Cohen GS, Young HY, Ball DS: Stent-Graft as Treatment for TIPS-Biliary Fistula. JVIR 7:6, 665-7, 1996.
- Stemerman DH, Cohen GS. An Unusual Configuration of Recanalized Periumbilical Veins Mimicking Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage. Clinical Nuclear Medicine, Vol. 22, November 1997.
- Putnam SG, Ball DS, Cohen GS. Transhepatic Dialysis Catheter Tract Embolization to Close A Venous-Biliary Peritoneal Fistula. JVIR 9:49-151, 1998.
- Putnam SG, Ball DS, Cohen GS. “Placement of Bilateral Simon Nitinol IVC Filters for an IVC Duplication through a Single Groin Access”. JVIR 10:431-433, 1999.
- Villas PA, Cohen GS, Putnam SG, Goldberg A, and Ball DS. “Wallstent Placement in a Renal Artery After Blunt Abdominal Trauma. J Trauma (46)6:1137-1139, 1999.
- Perno J, Putnam SG, Cohen GS, Ball DS. “Endovascular Treatment of Superior Vena Cava Syndrome without Removing a Central Venous Catheter”. JVIR 10:917-918, 1999.
- Villas PA, Cohen GS, Goyal AJ, Putnam SG, Ball DS. “The Merits of Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty of a Superficial Femoral Artery Stenosis via a Retrograde Popliteal Artery Approach”. JVIR 10:325-328, 1999.
- Mansilla A, Ball DS, Cohen G, Putnam SG, Krachman S, Black M. Massive Hemoptysis Secondary to Bronchial Collateral: Treatment with TIPS and Embolization. JVIR 10:372-374, 1999.
- Cohen GS, Freeman H, Ball DS, Silverman C, Schulman G. External Beam Irradiation as Adjunctive Treatment for Hemodialysis Shunts. JVIR 11:321-326, 2000.
- Patel A., Hofkin S., Ball D., Cohen GS., Smith D . JVIR, Sheathless Technique of Ash Split-Cath Insertion . 12: 376 - 378
- Kapil Gopal, M.D., Polly S. Kochan, M.D., Gary S. Cohen, M.D., Harsh Grewal, M.D. Bleeding Post-Trauma Pseudoaneurysm of the thigh. Journal of Trauma 58:880; 2005.
- Putterman, D,MD., Niman, D, M.D., Cohen, Gary S., M.D., Aortic Pseudoaneurysm After Penetration By A Simon Nitinol Filater. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2005 16: 535-538.
- Smoger DL, MD, Seamon M, MD, Pathal A, MD, Cohen GS, MD, Goldberg A, MD, A Prospective Study Comparing CT Angiography and Conventional Angiography Submitted Journal of Trama September 2008
- Torres D, MD, Seamon M, MD, Pieri, P MD, Santora T, MD, Pathak, A MD, Cohen GS, MD, Goldberg A, MD, Ruptured Gallbladder: Delayed Presentation Following Motor Vehicle Collision, Accepted Journal of Trauma, Injury, Infection and Critical Care July 2008
- Ref.: Ms. No. JOT-2008- 14164R2
A PROSPECTIVE VALIDATION OF A CURRENT PRACTICE: THE DETECTION OF EXTREMITY VASCULAR INJURY WITH CT ANGIOGRAPHY
The Journal of Trauma, Injury, Infection and Critical Care
- Cohen, GS, MD co-author, Black, M. MD co-author, Sorafenib in Conjunction with Loxoregional Therapy in the Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma (ID #660089), to be presented at the 2009 AASLD annual meeting.
- MS: 12-5362; RIGID BRONCHOSCOPIE MANAGEMENT OF COMPLICATIONS RELATED TO ENDOBRONCHIAL STENTS IN POST LUNG TRANSPLANT PATIENTS
- “Multidisciplinary Management of Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Model for
- Comerota A, Cohen GS, Ball DS: Catheter directed thrombolysis for lower extremity DVT: Presented at the American Venous Symposium, February, 1993.
- Gembala RB, Leder DS, Caroline DF, White JV, Dempsey DT, Cohen GS, Ball DS. "Radiographic Evaluation of Complications Following Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy." Presentation at The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, Endo Expo 93. Orlando, FL. December, 1993.
- Cohen GS, Boyd-Kranis R, Ball DS, et al. Central Venous Catheter Related Complications: Diagnosis and Treatment. Presented at the RSNA 1994.
- Ball DS, Cohen GS, O’Brien GM, Criner GJ, Travaline JM, Furukawa S: “Self-expanding Metallic Stents for Nonoperable Tracheobronchial Stenoses and Malacia:, 20th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society of Cardiovascular & Interventional Radiology, Fort Lauderdale, FL. March 25-30, 1995.
- Journal of Academic Radiology, Reviewer.
- Miller LS, Schiano TD, Hills C, Ter H, Bellary S. Black M, Cohen GS, Ball DS: The The correlation between Increased Colloid Osmotic Pressure and the Resolution of Refractory Ascites After Transjugular Intrahepatic Shunt. Annual Meeting American Association of Liver Disease, Chicago, IL, November 2-7, 1995.
- McGuckin JF, Jr, Caroline DF, Cohen GS, Ball DS: Endoluminal Appendectomy, RSNA, Chicago, IL, November 26-30, 1995.
- Martorell MG, Cohen GS, Boyko OB: Use of Gadolinium as Intravascular Radiographic Contrast Agent.” 2nd Place Award, poster presentation at the Association of University Radiologists Meeting, Dallas, Texas April 1997.
- Urinary Tract Calculi Treated with The Swiss Lithoclast: A Prospective Study.
Campenni M, Solish L, Leucci G, Ginsberg P, Ball DS, Cohen GS, Schmidt C.
Philadelphia Urological Society, April 1997. To be submitted to Mid-Atlantic American Urological Association.
- Hung J, Villa J, Ball DS, Cohen GS, Putnam SG. Complications Associated with the PasPort Venous Access System. Poster presented at AUR, New Orleans, May 1998.
- Berliner J, Ball DS, Cohen GS, Putnam SG. Utility of Preoperative Arteriography in Patients Undergoing Myocutaneous Free Flap Transfer of Soft Tissue Skin Grafting. Poster at SCVIR, San Francisco, February 28 - March 15, 1998.
- Ringold MA, Ball DS, Cohen GS, Putnam SG. Angiographic Findings in Lower Extremity Trauma. Poster at American Society of Emergency Radiology. St. Petersburg, FL, April 1998.
- Cohen GS, Putnam SG, Ball DS, Silverman C, Schulman G, Freeman H. External Beam Irradiation as Adjuctive Treatment for Hemodialysis Shunts. Presented at the SCVIR Meeting, Orlando, FL, March 22, 1999.
- Patel A, Cohen G, Hofkin S, Ball D, Gonsalves C, Smith D. Bare Back Technique of Ash Split Catheter Insertion. Presented at the SCVIR Meeting in San Diego, CA, March 2000.
- Mendez C, Cohen GS., Mydlow J, Chemical Nephrectomy for Renal Cell Carcinoma and contralateral renal artery stenosis treated with intervention. Mydlow, J. Presented at Philadelphia Urology Society March 25, 2002.
- Gelaw B, Niman D, Cohen G, Percutaneous Discectomy: Clinical Outcome. Presented at the American Society of Spine Radiology Symposium, February 24-27, 2005.
- Smoger,DL, MD, Seamon,M MD, Pathak,A MD, Goldberg,A MD, Cohen GS, MD, Detection of Arterial Injuries Following Extremity Trauma: A Prospective Study Comparing CT Angiography and Conventional Angiography, Presented at A.U.R. Seattle June, 2008.
- Smoger DL, MD, Seamon M, MD, Pathal A, MD, Cohen GS, MD, Goldberg A, MD, A Prospective Study Comparing CT Angiography and Conventional Angiography, Presented American Association of Surgical Trauma, Maui Hawaii, October, 2008.
- Embolotherapy and Its OB/GYN Applications. February, 1992.
Department of OB/GYN, Temple University Hospital. Grand Rounds Lecture.
- T.I.P.S. February, 1995, Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Albert Einstein Medical Center.
- Panelist. Philadelphia Roentgen Ray Society. May 1990.
- T.I.P.S. 1994, Department of Diagnostic Imaging, M.C.P.
- Mock Board Review, April 1994, M.C.P.
- T.I.P.S. and ICU Care, ICV Grand Rounds, February 1996.
- Mock Boards, April, 1996 Thomas Jefferson Diagnostic Imaging Residents
- Mock Boards, April, 1998 Thomas Jefferson Diagnostic Imaging Residents
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization. March 1999. Dept. of OB/ GYN, Temple
University Hospital, Grand Rounds Lecture.
- Percutaneous abscess drainage. January 2000 at the BARD International Symposium, Orlando FL.
- Filters Forum. October 2000. At the BARD Headquarters, Atlanta, GA.
- Chemoembolization. November 2000. ARNA National Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Uterine Artery Embolization. April 2001. Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Temple University Hospital Grand Rounds
- Interventional Radiology Past, Present and Future. 2000 Deltec National Meeting, Naples, Florida.
- Filters from Permanent to Recovery, Richmond, VA, Angio club 3/29/04
- Angio Club, Greensboro, NC 09/04
- Surgical Grand Rounds “Filter from Permanent to Recovery”
Roanoke, VA 11/04
Richmond, VA 04/04
Tulsa, OK 06/04
Seattle, WA 07/04
Hackensack, NJ 10/04
- Interventional Radiology Update, OB/GYN Grand Rounds, Temple Univ. Hospital
- Dialysis Update, Smiths Medical Corporate Meeting, March 2005.
- Radiofrequency Ablation Seminar: Sponsored by Covidien Corp., presented to New Jersey Radiology Physicians, nurses and technologists; January 28, 2009.
- Great Neck, Long Island, NY---October 15th – Nexavar and the SHARP Trial for
Treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Villanova, PA—November 17, 2009 –Nexavar and the SHARP Trial for treatment
of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Minneapolis, MN. Dec. 3rd –Nexavar and the SHARP Trial for treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Minneapolis, MN—Dec 4th, 2009—Nexavar and the SHARP Trial for treatment of Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Philadelphia PA—October 26th 2009 – Uterine Artery Embolization, Erny
Auditorium, Temple University Hospital