Paul F. Engstrom, MD
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497
Video: Paul Engstrom, MD
Colorectal Cancer Treatment at Fox Chase Cancer Center
Senior Vice President,
Extramural Research Programs;
Chief Network Officer Emeritus,
Fox Chase Cancer Center Partners
Meet other members of the
gastrointestinal cancer treatment team.
American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology
In my leadership role at Fox Chase, I am very involved in cancer research, specifically prevention and survivorship issues. In my practice, I specialize in gastrointestinal malignancies, especially neuroendocrine tumors and colon-rectum cancer management. I offer a second opinion service at several of our Fox Chase Cancer Center Partner hospitals for patients with breast cancer and other diagnoses.
I am the chair of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Colorectal-Anal Cancer Guidelines Panel and am a member of the NCCN Neuroendocrine Malignancy Panel and Senior Adult Oncology Task Force.
University of Minnesota Medical School, 1962
Internal Medicine, University of Minnesota Hospitals
Honors and Awards
Philadelphia Magazine, Top Doctors 2010, 2011, Medical Oncology
• Cancer prevention research
• Identification and development of biomarkers directed to cancer etiology, prognosis and response to therapy
• Phase II and Phase I cancer chemotherapy investigations.
Dr. Engstrom on My NCBI
- Benson AB, Venook AP, Bekaii-Saab T, Chan E, Chen YJ, Cooper HS, Engstrom PF, Enzinger PC, Fenton MJ, Fuchs CS, Grem JL, Grothey A, Hochster HS, Hunt S, Kamel A, Kirilcuk N, Leong LA, Lin E, Messersmith WA, Mulcahy MF, Murphy JD, Nurkin S, Rohren E, Ryan DP, Saltz L, Sharma S, Shibata D, Skibber JM, Sofocleous CT, Stoffel EM, Stotsky-Himelfarb E, Willett CG, Gregory KM, Freedman-Cass D. Rectal cancer, version 2.2015: Featured updates to the NCCN guidelines. JNCCN Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. 2015;13(6):719-28. PMID: 26085388
- Kulke MH, Shah MH, Benson AB, Bergsland E, Berlin JD, Blaszkowsky LS, Emerson L, Engstrom PF, Fanta P, Giordano T, Goldner WS, Halfdanarson TR, Heslin MJ, Kandeel F, Kunz PL, Kuvshinoff BV, Lieu C, Moley JF, Munene G, Pillarisetty VG, Saltz L, Sosa JA, Strosberg JR, Vauthey JN, Wolfgang C, Yao JC, Burns J, Freedman-Cass D. Neuroendocrine Tumors, Version 1.2015. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 13(1):78-108, 2015. PMID: 25583772
- Marks JR, Anderson KS, Engstrom P, Godwin AK, Esserman LJ, Longton G, Iversen ES, Mathew A, Patriotis C, Pepe MS. Construction and Analysis of the NCI-EDRN Breast Cancer Reference Set for Circulating Markers of Disease. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention: a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology, 24(2):435-41, 2015. PMCID: PMC4323938
- Perkins J, Boland P, Cohen S, Olszanski A, Zhou Y, Engstrom P, Astsaturov I. Successful Imatinib therapy of neuroendocrine carcinoma with activating KIT mutation: a case study. JNCCN 2014 June;12:847-852. PMID: 24925195 Benson AB, Venook AP, Bekaii-Saab T, Chan E, Chen YJ, Cooper HS, Engstrom PF, Enzinger PC, Fenton MJ, Fuchs CS, Grem JL, Hunt S, Kamel A, Leong LA, Lin E, Messersmith W, Mulcahy MF, Murphy JD, Nurkin S, Rohren E, Ryan DP, Saltz L, Sharma S, Shibata D, Skibber JM, Sofocleous CT, Stoffel EM, Stotsky-Himelfarb E, Willett CG, Gregory KM, Freedman-Cass CA. Colon Cancer, Version 3.2014. JNCCN 2014;12(7):1028-59. PMID: 24994923
- Denlinger CS, Meropol NJ, Li T, Lewis N, Engstrom PF, et al. A phase II trial of the proteasome inhibitor bortezomib in patients with advanced biliary tract cancers. Clin Colorectal Cancer 2014 Jan 4. [epub ahead of print] PMID: 24512954
- Engstrom, Paul F. Physician Burnout. JNCCN 2013 April; 11(4): 1-3
- Khrizman P, Niland JC, ter Veer A, Milne D, Bullard Dunn K, Carson WE 3rd, Engstrom PF, et al. Postoperative adjuvant chemotherapy use in patients with stage II/III rectal cancer treated with neoadjuvant therapy; a national comprehensive network analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Jan 1;31(1):30-8
- Gordiev M, Engstrom PF, Khasanov R, et al. Genetic Analysis of Polymorphisms in Dopamine Receptor and Transporter Genes for Association with Smoking among Cancer Patients. Eur Addict Res. 2012 Nov 2:19(2)105-111. PMID: 23128675.
- Engstrom PF. Commentary: Ten Years of Progress in Colon Cancer Therapy. JNCCN 2012 May; 10(5); 574-575.
- Schnoll RA, Subramanian S, Martinez E, Engstrom PF. Correlates of continued tobacco use and intention to quit smoking among Russian cancer patients. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2011 Jan;18(4):325-32. PMCID: PMC3107931.
- O'Grady MA, Slater E, Sigurdson ER, Meropol NJ, Weinstein A, Lusch CJ, Sein E, Keeley P, Miller B, Engstrom PF, Cohen SJ. Assessing Compliance with National Comprehensive Cancer Network Guidelines for Elderly Patients with Stage III Colon Cancer: The Fox Chase Cancer Center Partners' Initiative. Clinical Colorectal Cancer. 2011 Jun;10(2):113-6.
- Gupta S, Engstrom PF, Cohen SJ. Emerging Therapies for Advanced Gastroenteropancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors. Clinical Colorectal Cancer. 2011 Dec;10(4):298-309. PMID: 21813338
- Denlinger CS, Engstrom PF. Colorectal cancer survivorship: Movement matters. Cancer Prev. Res; 4(4);502-11, 2011. PMCID: PMC3110682.
- Morris GJ, Greco FA, Hainsworth JD, Engstrom PF, et al. Cancer of unknown primary site. Seminars in Oncology 37(2):71-79, 2010. [PMID: 20494696].
- Braithwaite D, Wernli KJ, Anton-Culver H, Engstrom P, Greenberg R, Meyskens F. Opportunities for cancer epidemiology and control in low-and middle-income countries: a report from the ASPO international cancer prevention interest group. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 19(7):1665-7, 2010.