Yu-Ning Wong, MD, MSCE
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497
Philadelphia Magazine 2009
Rising Star Under 40
- Jesus Calderon - Clinical-Trials Patient Stories, Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
- Richard Frantz - Bladder Cancer Patient Stories, Clinical-Trials Patient Stories
- Jay Hyman - Clinical-Trials Patient Stories, Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
- Lawrence James - Germ Cell Tumor Treatment Patient Stories
- David Juall - Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
- Chuck Leonard - Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
- Robert Singer - Hormone Therapy for Prostate Cancer Patient Stories, Prostate Cancer Patient Stories
- Andrew Steinmetz - Testicular Cancer Patient Stories
Program Director, GU Medical Oncology Services
Meet other members of the
Internal Medicine, Oncology
The introduction of new treatments for patients with localized and advanced cancer has made this an exciting time to be a medical oncologist. After I finished my training in 2005, I decided to stay at Fox Chase to pursue my research in how cancer affects both individuals and populations. Within the Genitourinary Malignancy Division, I work with other researchers to develop new treatments for prostate, urothelial, kidney and testicular cancers. I am an active clinical investigator and am able to offer patients both standard therapy as well as novel therapies through well-conducted clinical trials. As an investigator involved in recent trials that ultimately led to approval of new therapies for kidney and prostate cancer, I truly believe that clinical trials improve cancer care for current and future patients.
I enjoy taking care of patients across the age spectrum, and have been fortunate to get to know many of my patients and their families very well. I believe that it is my responsibility to help patients and families arrive at a treatment decision that improves their outcomes and reflects their preferences and beliefs.
I enjoy working my colleagues in the Genitourinary Malignancy Division at Fox Chase. All of the clinicians (Physicians, Advanced Practice Clinicians, Nurses and Medical Assistants) work closely together to ensure that care is as coordinated as possible.
Working at Fox Chase has provided me the opportunity to treat patients as well as pursue cancer research. Although I see primarily patients with genitourinary malignancies, the academic environment allows me to stay aware of new advances in other disease sites. I often use this knowledge in caring for my own patients.
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry, New Brunswick, NJ;
Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Internal Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.
Hematology and Medical Oncology, Fox Chase
Cancer Center and Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA;
Clinical Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Dr. Wong on My NCBI
- Financial Concerns Among Cancer Patients About Participation In Clinical Trials Wong,Yu-Ning,, Schlucter,Mark,D, Albrecht,Terrance,L, Benson,Al,B, Buzaglo,Joanne,, et al.
Journal of Clinical Oncology. Forthcoming; My Bibliography [journal]
- Randomized Trial of a Web-based Intervention to Address Barriers to Clinical Trials Meropol,Neal,J, Wong,Yu-Ning,, Albrecht,Terrance,L, Manne,Sharon,, Miller,Suzanne,M, et al.
Journal of Clinical Oncology. Forthcoming; My Bibliography [journal]
- Adjuvant Chemotherapy Use and Healthcare Costs after the Introduction of Genomic Testing in Breast Cancer Epstein,Andrew,J, Wong,Yu-Ning,, Mitra,Nandita,, Vachani,Anil,, Hin,Sakhena,, et al.
Journal of Clinical Oncology . Forthcoming; My Bibliography [journal]
- Sweeney CJ, Chen YH, Carducci M, Liu G, Jarrard DF, Eisenberger M, Wong YN, Hahn N, Kohli M, Cooney MM, Dreicer R, Vogelzang NJ, Picus J, Shevrin D, Hussain M, Garcia JA, DiPaola RS. Chemohormonal Therapy in Metastatic Hormone-Sensitive Prostate Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2015 Aug 20;373(8):737-46. doi:
10.1056/NEJMoa1503747. Epub 2015 Aug 5. PubMed [citation] PMID: 26244877, PMCID:
- Plimack ER, Dunbrack RL, Brennan TA, Andrake MD, Zhou Y, Serebriiskii IG, Slifker M, Alpaugh K, Dulaimi E, Palma N, Hoffman-Censits J, Bilusic M, Wong YN, Kutikov A, Viterbo R, Greenberg RE, Chen DY, Lallas CD, Trabulsi EJ, Yelensky R, McConkey DJ, Miller VA, et al. Defects in DNA Repair Genes Predict Response to Neoadjuvant Cisplatin-based Chemotherapy in Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer. Eur Urol. 2015 Aug 1. doi:pii: S0302-2838(15)00613-2. 10.1016/j.eururo.2015.07.009. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed [citation] PMID: 26238431
- Plimack ER, Hoffman-Censits JH, Viterbo R, Trabulsi EJ, Ross EA, Greenberg RE, Chen DY, Lallas CD, Wong YN, Lin J, Kutikov A, Dotan E, Brennan TA, Palma N, Dulaimi E, Mehrazin R, Boorjian SA, Kelly WK, Uzzo RG, Hudes GR. Accelerated methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin is safe, effective, and efficient neoadjuvant treatment for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: results of a multicenter phase II study with molecular correlates of response and toxicity. J Clin Oncol. 2014 Jun 20;32(18):1895-901. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2013.53.2465. Epub 2014 May 12. PubMed [citation] PMID: 24821881, PMCID: PMC4050203
- Bilusic M, Wong YN. Anti-angiogenesis in prostate cancer: knocked down but not out. Asian J Androl. 2014 May-Jun;16(3):372-7. doi: 10.4103/1008-682X.125903.
Review. PubMed [citation] PMID: 24759579, PMCID: PMC4023362
- Wong YN, Litwin S, Vaughn D, Cohen S, Plimack ER, Lee J, Song W, Dabrow M, Brody M, Tuttle H, Hudes G. Phase II trial of cetuximab with or without paclitaxel in patients with advanced urothelial tract carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Oct 1;30(28):3545-51. Epub 2012 Aug 27. Erratum in: J Clin Oncol. 2013 Oct 1;31(28):3612. PubMed [citation] PMID: 22927525, PMCID: PMC3454772
- Wong YN, Freedland S, Egleston B, Hudes G, Schwartz JS, Armstrong K. Role of androgen deprivation therapy for node-positive prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol.
2009 Jan 1;27(1):100-5. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2007.14.2042. Epub 2008 Dec 1. PubMed [citation] PMID: 19047295, PMCID: PMC2645095
- Wong YN, Mitra N, Hudes G, Localio R, Schwartz JS, Wan F, Montagnet C, Armstrong K. Survival associated with treatment vs observation of localized prostate cancer in elderly men. JAMA. 2006 Dec 13;296(22):2683-93. Erratum in: JAMA. 2007 Jan 3;297(1):42. PubMed [citation] PMID: 17164454
- Wong YN, Freedland SJ, Egleston B, Vapiwala N, Uzzo R, Armstrong K. The role of primary androgen deprivation therapy in localized prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2009 Oct;56(4):609-16. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2009.03.066. Epub 2009 Apr 1. PubMed [citation] PMID: 19368995, PMCID: PMC2791191
- Galsky MD, Pal SK, Chowdhury S, Harshman LC, Crabb SJ, Wong YN, Yu EY, Powles T, Moshier EL, Ladoire S, Hussain SA, Agarwal N, Vaishampayan UN, Recine F, Berthold D, Necchi A, Theodore C, Milowsky MI, Bellmunt J, Rosenberg JE; Retrospective International Study of Cancers of the Urothelial Tract (RISC) Investigators.
Comparative effectiveness of gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, plus cisplatin as neoadjuvant therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Cancer. 2015 Aug 1;121(15):2586-93. doi:
10.1002/cncr.29387. Epub 2015 Apr 14. PubMed [citation] PMID: 25872978
- Dotan E, Li T, Hall MJ, Meropol NJ, Beck JR, Wong YN. Oncologists' response to new data regarding the use of epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors in colorectal cancer. J Oncol Pract. 2014 Sep;10(5):308-14. doi:
10.1200/JOP.2014.001439. Epub 2014 Jul 22. PubMed [citation] PMID: 25052499,
- Stump TK, Eghan N, Egleston BL, Hamilton O, Pirollo M, Schwartz JS, Armstrong K, Beck JR, Meropol NJ, Wong YN. Cost concerns of patients with cancer. J Oncol Pract. 2013 Sep;9(5):251-7. doi: 10.1200/JOP.2013.000929. Epub 2013 Jul 16.
PubMed [citation] PMID: 23943901, PMCID: PMC3770507
- Wong YN, Egleston BL, Sachdeva K, Eghan N, Pirollo M, Stump TK, Beck JR, Armstrong K, Schwartz JS, Meropol NJ. Cancer patients' trade-offs among efficacy, toxicity, and out-of-pocket cost in the curative and noncurative setting. Med Care. 2013 Sep;51(9):838-45. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e31829faffd. Erratum in: Med Care. 2013 Nov;51(11):1029. PubMed [citation] PMID: 23872905, PMCID: PMC3857689