Stephanie E. Weiss, MD
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497
Virtua Fox Chase Cancer Program
239 Hurffville Crosskeys Rd, Ste 190
Sewell, NJ 08080
Video: Stephanie E. Weiss, MD
- Lynne Alston - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
Associate Professor, Radiation Oncology
Adult malignant and benign tumors of the Central Nervous System
American Board of Radiology, Radiation Oncology
It has been my long-term ambition to treat patients suffering from cancer. Even before medical school, I had been a member of a cancer research team at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City where I had the opportunity to contribute to several scientific publications on the subject of breast cancer. As a medical student at St. George’s University School of Medicine I pursued this interest by taking a number of electives in the field. I chose to specialize in radiation oncology because it affords me the opportunity to interact directly with patients on a daily basis and to participate in clinical research programs designed to explore new treatment modalities.
After my internship at Upstate Medical University in NY, I trained in radiation oncology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and obtained broad experience in all subspecialty areas of radiation oncology. In my final year I was appointed as Chief Resident.
Following completion of my residency I received an appointment as attending physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Dana Farber Cancer Institute and was on faculty at Harvard Medical School. I specialized in the treatment of brain tumors and in 2007 was appointed Chief of Adult Tumors of the Central Nervous System Tumors and Radiosurgery.
I have extensive experience with several technologies used in treating cancer patients including stereotactic radiosurgery, hypo-fractionation, volumetric arc therapy and intensity modulated radiotherapy. My research activities are primarily involved in seeking to improve outcomes for patients, and has been presented at national and international meetings, won grants, and been selected for plenary sessions. (see publications).
In 2012 I joined the Department of Radiation Oncology at Fox Chase Cancer Center as attending physician and Associate Professor. I will continue to be involved in the treatment of patients with cancer and also contribute to the development of the brain tumor service. My clinical research activities will, as in the past, focus on developing and assessing new treatment protocols that will provide better outcomes for patients.
As a member of several national and international professional organizations I regularly avail of the opportunity to share and exchange expertise with other specialists in the field. This allows me to continue giving my patients the best in current care.
My treatment philosophy is patient-centered. I believe that patients should be integrally involved in decision making at all stages of their treatment programs. It is my belief that a strong relationship with each patient is central to selecting the best treatment program for his or her clinical needs. Patient confidence is something that I prize highly and constantly strive to attain. Community outreach is also important to me and I regularly contribute to education programs and symposiums organized for the benefit of patients and their families to update them on specific topics pertaining to patient treatment and management.
Finally, it is a great pleasure to me to contribute to the future development of the field of Radiation Oncology through participation in the training programs at Fox Chase Cancer Center for younger colleagues, students, residents and fellows.
MD, St. George’s University School of Medicine, University Centre, Grenada, West Indies, 1999
Chief Resident, Radiation Oncology, Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, 2002-2004;
Resident, Radiation Oncology, Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center, 2000-2002
Honors and Awards
STAR Award for Outstanding Physician, Upstate Medical University, 2000
American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO);
European Association of Neuro-Oncology;
European Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology;
International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society;
Radiological Society of North America;
Society of Neuro-Oncology;
Society of Translational Oncology
Adult Brain tumors; Radiosurgery; Hypofractionated radiation
Dr. Weiss on PubMed
Lee, EQ, Kaley TJ, Duda DG, Schiff D, Lassman AB, Wong ET, Mikkelsen T, Purow BW, Muzikansky A, Ancukiewicz, Huse JT, Ramkissoon S, Drappatz J, Norden AD, Beroukhim R, Weiss SE, Alexander BM, McCluskey CS, Gerard M, Smith KH, Jain RK, Batchelor TT, Ligon KL, Wen PW. A multicenter, phase II, randomized, non-comparative clinical trial of radiation and Temozolomide with or without vandetanib in newly-diagnosed glioblastoma patients. Clinical Cancer Research Submitted.
- Murphy C, Tianya, Wang, LS, Obeid EI, Bleicher RJ, Eastwick G, Johnson ME, Hayes SB, Weiss SE, Anderson PR. Comparison of adjuvant radiation therapy alone versus radiation therapy and endocrine therapy in elderly women with early stage, hormone receptor positive breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer Accepted.
- Weiss SE. “In regard to Fokas et al.” International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics. 2014. 90(5): 1250.
- Rajakesari S, Arvold ND, Jimenez RB, Christianson LW, Horvath M, Claus EB, Golby AJ, Johnson MJ, Dunn IF, Lee EQ, Lin NU, Friesen S, Mannarino EG, Wager M, Hacker FL, Weiss SE, Alexander BM. Local Control after fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for brain metastasis. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 120(2): 339-46.
- Dyer MA, Arvold ND, Chen YH, Pinnell NE, Mitin T, Lee EQ, Hodi FS, Ibrahim N, Weiss SE, Kelly PJ, Floyd SR, Mahadevan A, Alexander BM. The role of whole brain radiation therapy in the management of melanoma brain metastasis Radiation Oncology 9(1):42, 2014
- Aizer AA, Arvold ND, Catalano P, Claus EB, Golby AJ, Johnson MD, Al-Mefty O, Wen PY, Reardon DA, Lee EQ, Nayak L, Rinne ML, Beroukhim R, Weiss SE, Ramkissoon SH, Abedalthagafi M, Santagata S, Dunn IF, Alexander BM. Neuro-oncology. 16(11):1547-53.
- Heron DE, Beal K, Wagner H, Allen A, Weiss SE, Shoshan Y, Tomblyn MB, Davidson ILAN, Ben-Ami M. Apoptosis imaging with 18F-ML-10 for early detection of response of brain metastases to stereotatic radiosurgery. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2012 103(3)
- Dyer MA, Kelly PJ, Chen YH, Pinnell NE, Claus EB, Lee EQ, Weiss SE, Arvold ND, Lin NU, Alexander BM Importance of extracranial disease status and tumor subtype for patients undergoing radiosurgery for breast cancer brain metastases.. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Jul 15;83(4)
- Kelly PJ, Lin NU, Claus EB, Quant EC, Weiss SE, Alexander BM. Salvage stereotactic radiosurgery for breast cancer brain metastases: outcomes and prognostic factors. Cancer. 2012 Apr 15;118(8):2014-20.
- Kelly PJ, Lin YB, Yu AY, Alexander BM, Hacker F, Marcus KJ, Weiss SE. Stereotactic irradiation of the postoperative resection cavity for brain metastasis: a frameless linear accelerator-based case series and review of the technique. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Jan 1;82(1):95-101.
- Arvold ND, Hsu L, Chen WY, Benzaquen LR, Weiss SE. Marantic endocarditis with cardioembolic strokes mimicking leptomeningeal metastases in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2011 Oct 10;29(29):e743-6.
- Kelly PJ Dinkins MJ, Drappatz J, O’Regan KN, Weiss SE. Unexpected late radiation neurotoxicity following Bevacizumab after radiation to the central nervous system. Journal of Neuro-Oncology102(3):485, 2011
- Kelly PJ, Lin YB, Yu AY, Ropper AE, Nguyen PL, Marcus KJ, Hacker FL, Weiss SE. Linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery for brainstem metastases: the Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center experience. Kelly PJ, Lin YB, Yu AY, Ropper AE, Nguyen PL, Marcus KJ, Hacker FL, Weiss SE. J Neurooncol. 2011 Sep;104(2):553-7.
- Horky L; Hsiao EH; Drappatz J; Weiss SE; Gerbaudo VH. Dual Phase FDG-PET imaging of brain metastases provides superior assessment for recurrence versus necrosis. Journal of Neuro-Oncology103(1):137-46. 2010
- Kelly PJ, Weiss SE, Sher DJ, Perez-Atayde AR, Dal Cin P, Choueiri TK. Sunitinib-induced pseudoprogression after whole-brain radiotherapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Sep 1;28(25):e433-5.
- Weiss SE, Kelly PJ. Neurocognitive function after WBRT plus SRS or SRS alone. Lancet Oncol. 2010 Mar;11(3):220-1.
- Metellus P, Batra S, Karkar S, Kapoor S, Weiss SE, Kleinberg L, Rigamonti D. Fractionated conformal radiotherapy n the management of cavernous sinus meningiomas: Long-term functional outcome and tumor control at a single institution. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology and Physics.78(3):836-43. 2010
- Drappatz J, Norden AD, Wong ET, Doherty LM, LaFrankie DC, Ciampa A, Kesari S, Sceppa C, Gerard M, Phan P, Schiff D, Batchelor TT, Ligon KL, Young G, Muzikansky A, Weiss SE, Wen PY. Phase I Study of Vandetanib with radiotherapy and Temozolomide for newly diagnosed glioblastoma. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology and Physics 78(1):85-0. 2010
- Weiss, SE “Supportive care:Controlling symptoms and diminishing toxicities.”in Brain Metastasis: A multidisciplinary approach; 1st Edition; ed: Lawrence Kleinberg. Demos Publishing 2008
- Kesari S, Schiff D, Doherty L, Gigas DC, Batchelor TT, Muzikansky A, O'Neill A, Drappatz J, Chen-Plotkin AS, Ramakrishna N, Weiss SE, Levy B, Bradshaw J, Kracher J, Laforme A, Black PM, Folkman J, Kieran M, Wen PY. Phase II study of metronomic chemotherapy for recurrent malignant gliomas in adults. Neuro-oncology Jul;9(3):354-63. 2007.
- Chheda MG; Drappatz J, Greenberg NJ, Kesari S, Weiss SE, Gigas DC, Doherty LM, Wen PY: Hepatitis B reactivation during glioblastoma treatment with temozolomide: A cautionary note Neurology March:68: 955-56. 2007.
- Weiss SE; O’Connor L; Welsh JS. Refinement of radiation therapy based on PET data in an adult with Langerhans cell histiocytosis of soft tissues. ClinAdvHematolOncol. Apr;4(4):290-2; discussion 292-4. 2006.
- Weiss SE, Kleinberg LR, Wharam MD, Rigamonti D. “Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy in the treatment of acoustic neuroma” in Cancer of the Nervous System. 2nd edition; Peter McL. Black and Jay S. Loeffler.
- Tartter PI, Weiss SE,Ahmed S, Kamath S, Herman G, Drossman S. Mammographically occult breast cancers. Breast J. Jan;5(1):22-25.1999.
- Cunningham JD, Weiss SE, Ahmed S, Bratton J, Bleiweiss IJ, TartterPI, Brower S. The efficacy of neoadjuvant chemotherapy compared to postoperative therapy in the treatment of locally advanced breast cancer. Cancer Invest. 16(2): 80-6. 1998.
- Brower ST, Tartter PI, Weiss SE, Luderer A, Lehrer S. Breast cancer and family history: levels of lipid-associated sialic acid in plasma and absent family history of breast cancer in women who have breast tumors. Mt. Sinai J Med Nov; 62(6): 419-21. 1995.
- Weiss SE, Tartter PI, Ahmed S, Brower ST, Brusco C, Bossolt K, Bratton J, Amberson JB. Author reply. Cancer. Feb 1; 77(3):594-594. 1996.
- Brower ST, Tartter PI, Weiss SE, Luderer A, Lehrer S. Reproductive history and prognosis in patients with operable breast cancer. Cancer. Aug 1; 76(3): 531-3. 1995
- Weiss SE, Tartter PI, Ahmed S, Brower ST, Brusco CM, Bossolt K, Hayden C, Bleiweiss IJ. Ethnic differences in risk and prognostic factors for breast cancer. Cancer. Jul 15; 76(2): 268-74.
- Weiss SE, Tartter P. “Mammographically Occult Breast Cancer.” Podium Presentation at the New York Breast Cancer Society, New York, NY, 1993
- Weiss SE, Tartter P. “Ethinic Difference is Risk and Prognostic Factors for Breast Cancer.” Podium Presentation at the Metropolitan Breast Cancer Society, New York, NY, 1994
- Weiss SE, Brower ST. “Efficacy of neoadjuvant chemotherapy compared with postoperative therapy in the treatment of locally advanced breast cancer.” Podium Presentation at the Society of Surgical Oncology, Boston, MA, 1995
- Weiss SE, Zellars RC. “Superior Dosimetry at the Supraclavicular match line, utilizing breast tangents with isocentric half-bean blocking and micromultileaf techniques.” Podium Presentation at the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago, IL 2002
- Weiss SE, Zellars RC. “Is there a difference in the rate of true recurrences/new primaries in patients who have failed breast conserving therapy for invasive or non-invasive breast cancer?” Podium Presentation at the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago, IL 2002
- Weiss SE, Lavely W, Teal J, Teslow T, DeWeese TL, Wahl R. “Prospective feasibility trial of radiotherapy target definition and treatment planning for lung cancer using CT, PET and PET/CT.” Podium Presentation at the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago, IL 2004
- Hacker FL, Weiss SE, Marcus KJ, Ramakrishna N. “Implementation and initial experience with a non-invasive image guided radiosurgery system for intra-cranial lesions.” Poster presentation at the American Society of Radiation Oncology, Chicago, IL 2009.
- Kelly PJ Dinkins MJ, Drappatz J, O’Regan KN, Weiss SE. “Unexpected late radiation neurotoxicity following Bevacizumab after radiation to the central nervous system.” Plenary Session Podium Presentation at the Canadian Society of Neuro-Oncology, Niagra-on-the-Lake, Canada 2010
- Hacker FL, Friesen S, Kelly PJ, Marcus KJ, Weiss SE. “Non-invasive image-guided system for frameless radiosurgery.” Plenary Session at Novalis Circle, Munich Germany, 2010
- Weiss SE, Cheung A, Drappatz J, Norden A, Wen PY. Outcomes for elderly patients treated for high grade glioma with hypofractionated radiation and Concomitant Temozolomide” Poster Session at the American Society for Radiation Oncology, San Diego, CA 2010
- Yu AYC, Kelly PJ, Lin YB, Sher DJ, Hacker FL, Marcus KJ, Weiss SE. “Cases series of frameless linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery to the postoperative resection cavity for brain metastasis- an initial report of outcomes and patterns of failure.” Oral Presentation at the European Association for Neuro-Oncology, and Winner of International Travel Grant, Maastricht, Netherlands 2010
- Drappatz J; Kesari S; Wong E; Fadul C; Norden A; Quant E; Weiss SE; Ruland S; Abigail C; Doherty L; LaFrankie D; Muzikansky A; Hammond S; Wen P. “ Interim results of a randomized placebo-controlled pilot trial of armodafinil for fatigue in patients with malignant gliomas undergoing radiotherapy with or without standard chemotherapy treatment. Poster Session at the American Academy of Neurology, Hawaii 2011
- Hacker FL, Friesen S, Kelly PJ, Marcus KJ, Weiss SE. “Positioning accuracy and intra-fraction stability for 100 patients treated with non-invasive image-guided SRS.” Poster Session at the International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society, Paris, France, 2011
- Kelly PJ, Mannarino EG, Lewis JH, Hacker FL, Weiss SE. “Defining the target for fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy of meningiomas following resection: a multidisciplinary study of interobserver variability.” Oral Podium Presentation at the American Society for Radiation Oncology, Miami, FL 2011
- Alexander BM, Quant EC, Batchelor TB, Lassman AB, Schiff DS, Kaley TJ, Wong ET, Mikkelsen T, Weiss SE, Wen PY . “Preliminary results from a multicenter, phase II randomized, non-comparative clinical trial of radiation and temozolomide with or without Vandetanib in newly diagnosed glioblastoma.” Poster Discussion at the American Society for Radiation Oncology , Miami, FL 2011
- Gerard M, Drappatz, Muzikansky A, Weiss SE, ;Kesari S; Wong E; Fadul C; Norden A; Quant E; Beroukhim R, Alexander BM, Ruland S; Doherty L; Abigail C; LaFrankie D; Sceppa C; Smith KH, Hammond S; Wen P. “ Interim analysis of a randomized placebo-controlled pilot trial of armodafinil for fatigue in patients with malignant gliomas undergoing radiotherapy with or without standard chemotherapy treatment.” Society of Neuro-Oncology; Garden City, CA 2011
- Dyer MA, Kelly PJ, Chen Y, Hodi FS, Quant EC, Pinnell NE, Weiss SE, Alexander BM. “Stereotactic radiosurgery in the initial management of melanoma brain metastases.” Poster presentation at the American Society of Radiation Oncology.” Miami, 2011.
- Lee E, Batchelor T, Kaley T, Schiff D, Lassman A, Wong E, Mikkelsen T, Purow B, Drappatz J, Norden A, Beroukhim R, Weiss SE, Alexander BM, McCluskey C, Gerard M, Teulings L, Smith K, Muzikansky A, Wen P. “Preliminary Data from a multicenter, phase II randomized, non-comparative clinical trial of radiation and temozolomide with or without Vandetanib in newly-diagnosed glioblastoma (GBM).” American Academy of Neurology, New Orleans, LA 2012
- Heron DE, Beal K, Wagner H, Allen A, Weiss SE, Shoshan Y, Tomblyn MB. “Apoptosis imaging with 18F-ML-10 for early detection of response of brain metastases to stereotactic radiosurgery” European Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology, Barcelona, Spain 2012
- Arvold ND, Pinnell NE, Mahadevan A, Connelly S, Silverman R, Weiss SE, Kelly PJ, Alexander BM. “Physician recommendations for steroid and anticonvulsant use following stereotactic radiosurgery.” Poster at the American Society for Radiation Oncology, Boston, 2012
- Heron DE, Beal K, Wagner H, Allen A, Weiss SE, Shoshan Y, Tomblyn MB, Davidson T, Ziv I, Ben-Ami M. “Apoptosis imaging with 18F-ML-10 is an early predictor of response of brain metastases to stereotactic radiosurgery” Poster Discussion at the American Society for Radiation Oncology, Boston, 2012
- Gray PJ, Sher DJ, Cryer SK, Mak RH, Porter J, Weiss SE, Alexander BM, Jackman DM. “Aggressive therapy to the thoracic primary is associated with improved survival in patients with non-small cell lung carcinoma presenting with synchronous metastases limited to the brain.” Oral presentation at the American Society for Radiation Oncology, Boston, 2012
- Kelly PJ, Mannarino EG, Lewis JH, Hacker FL, Weiss SE. “Defining the target for radiation therapy of meningiomas: a multidisciplinary study of interobserver variability.” Poster Presentation at the American Association of Neurologic Surgeons/CNS 10th Biennial Satellite Tumor Symposium, New Orleans, LA 2013
- Gray PJ, Sher D, Yeap BY, Cryer SK, Mak RH, Weiss SE, Alexander BM, Jackman DM. “Impact of aggressive therapy in patients with non-small cell lung carcinoma presenting with brain-only ologometastatic disease”. Poster session, American Society Clinical Oncology,Chicago, IL 2013
- Rajakesari S, Arvold ND, Christianson LW, Jimenez RB, Friesen S, Mannarino E, Wagar MM, Hacker FL, Weiss SE, Alexander BM. Hypofractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for brain metastases. Poster presentation at American Society for Radiation Oncology, Atlanta, 2013
- Arvold N, Wen PY, Reardon DA, Lee EQ, Pinnell NE, Christianson LW, Weiss SE, Dunn IF, Ligon KL, Alexander BM. Disconnect between progression-free survival and overall survival for newly diagnosed glioblastoma patients receiving upfront bevacizumab. Oral Presentation at the American Society for Radiation Oncology, Atlanta, 2013; Selected for discussion at Best of American Society for Radiation Oncology, San Diego, 2013
- Avkshtol V, Johnson ME, Ruth KJ, Hussien A, Weiss SE. “Lacrimal glad radiation dose and toxicity after whole brain radiation”. Poster presentation at American Society for Radiation Oncology, San Francisco, 2014.
- Meyer J, Galloway T, Buyyounouski M, Klayton T, Hallman M, Weiss SE, Leahy J, Duncan G, Price R, Howritz E, Ma C. Phase I study of pulsed low dose rate reirradiation: a dose escalation study to establish maximum tolerated dose. Submitted to American Society for Radiation Oncology, San Antonio, 2015
2008-2012 DFCI 09-040 Aposense®
[18F]-ML-10 in the assessment of response to Radiosurgery in the treatment of brain metastasis
Objective is to assess the relationship between changes in [18F]-ML-10 uptake in brain metastases treated with SRS, as observed with PET/CT scans performed before and at 1 day after the single-fraction, high-dose radiation therapy, and clinical tumor response observed with MRI.
Role: Principle Investigator
2009 2009P-000905/2 Friends of Dana Farber
Assessment of the Utility of the Radiotracer “FLT” in PET Imaging of De Novo Glioblastoma Multiforme: Monitoring Early Response to Standard Chemoradiotherapy
Study goal is to assess early metabolic changes as they pertain to late radiographic changes and outcomes in patients undergoing RT/Chemo for high grade glioma.
2010-11 DFCI 10-107 Friends of Dana Farber
Prospective Study of Neurocognitive Outcomes following Whole-Brain Radiotherapy for Newly Diagnosed Brain Metastasis in Breast Cancer Patients
Prospective longitudinal study to measure neurocognitive changes in patients with metastatic breast cancer to the brain receiving whole brain radiation.
Role: Principle Investigator
2010-2012 DFCI 10-369 Ronald and Sharon Martin Research Fund
A Data Repository to Facilitate Analysis of Treatment Outcomes and Late Effects in Patients Treated with Radiation for Primary or Metastatic Brain Tumors
Goal is the establishment of a comprehensive database from which our uniquely extensive linac-accelerator radiosurgery experience can be mined for publication and clinical teaching
Role: Principle Investigator
Fox Chase Radiation Oncology Discretionary Research Fund
The meningioma radiotherapeutic versus neurosurgical CTV: a paradox?
To establish if there is a consensus as to what the target definition is in the treatment of meningioma
Role: Principle Investigator