Marcia Boraas, MD, FACS
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Follow on Twitter: @FCCCSurgOnc
Top Doctors 2014
- Diane Check - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Triple Negative Breast Cancer
- Barbara Davis - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Renee Dratch testimonial - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Audrey Lam - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Robin Luber - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Clinical-Trials Patient Stories
- Jamie Rosati - Mammography Van Patient Stories, Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Sonia Smith - Clinical-Trials Patient Stories, Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Linda Snow - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Triple Negative Breast Cancer
(Feb 11, 2013)
Meet other members of the
breast cancer treatment team.
American Board of Surgery
I’ve been caring for women in the Philadelphia area with breast cancer for over 25 years. After graduating from Princeton University, I attended medical school and completed my surgical residency at the University of Pennsylvania. I was a breast surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania for seven years, and prior to that I was on the staff of Fox Chase Cancer Center. I was pleased to return to Fox Chase.
While I am a strong supporter of the research programs here at Fox Chase, my personal practice is entirely devoted to patient care, focusing on those diagnosed or suspected to have breast cancer, or who may be at high risk.
In my experience, Fox Chase has always valued an individualized approach to breast cancer treatment, offering their comprehensive resources in a patient-centered setting. The Women’s Cancer Center at Fox Chase provides a bright and peaceful environment in which those necessary resources can more easily be gathered.
Although it is impossible to comprehend the anxiety which accompanies the possibility or the confirmation of a breast cancer diagnosis, the truth is that most women who are treated will be well. In my practice, that important and shared understanding is essential to any discussion of surgical therapy and in making truly collaborative treatment decisions. I believe that offering personalized, and hopeful, care to women with breast cancer is what continues to make my work so rewarding.
MD, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1977
Resident in Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA ;
Chief Resident in General Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
American Cancer Society Clinical Fellowship, Philadelphia, PA;
Postdoctoral Fellow in Surgical Research, Harrison Department of Surgical Research, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
Honors and Awards
Best Doctors in America®, Best Doctors Inc., 2007, 2009-2010, 2013-2014;
Philadelphia Magazine Top Docs 2011-2014;
The first "Tickled Pink" Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of Teens for the Cure/Susan G. Komen for the Cure, November 2009;
I.S. Ravdin Prize, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1977;
Alpha Omega Alpha, 1976
American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
Research Publications, peer reviewed:
- Mattes RD, Arnold C, Boraas M. Learned food aversions among cancer chemotherapy patients. Incidence, nature, and clinical implications. Cancer 60(10):2576-2580, Nov. 15, 1987.
- Mattes RD, Arnold C, Boraas M. Management of learned food aversions in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Cancer Treatment Reports 71(11):1071-1078, Nov. 1987.
- Keidan RD, Hoffman JP, Weese JL, Hanks GE, Solin LJ, Eisenberg BL, Ottery FD, Boraas M. Delayed breast abscesses after lumpectomy and radiation therapy. American Surgeon 56(7):440-444, July 1990.
- Hoffman JP, Kusiak J, Boraas M, Genter B, Steuber K, Weese JL, Keidan RD, Eisenberg BL, Cox T, Litwin S. Risk factors for immediate prosthetic postmastectomy reconstruction. American Surgeon 57(8):514-522, Aug. 1991.
- Pegues D, Axelrod P, McClarren C, Eisenberg BL, Hoffman JP, Ottery FD, Keidan RD, Boraas M, Weese J. Comparison of infections in Hickman and implanted port catheters in adult solid tumor patients. Journal of Surgical Oncology 49(3):156-162, Mar. 1992.
- Sauter ER, Eisenberg BL, Hoffman JP, Ottery FD, Boraas MC, Goldstein LJ, Solin LJ. Postmastectomy morbidity after combination preoperative irradiation and chemotherapy for locally advanced breast cancer. World Journal of Surgery 17(2):237-242, Mar./Apr. 1993.
- Gwin JL, Eisenberg BL, Hoffman JP, Ottery FD, Boraas M, Solin LJ. Incidence of gross and microscopic carcinoma in specimens from patients with breast cancer after re-excision lumpectomy. Annals of Surgery 218(6):729-734, Dec. 1993.
- Fowble B, Hanlon A, Freedman G, Patchefsky A, Kessler H, Nicolaou N, Hoffman J, Sigurdson E, Boraas M, Goldstein L. Postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy: Effect on diagnosis and outcome in early-stage invasive breast cancer treated with conservative surgery and radiation. Journal of Clinical Oncology 17(6):1680-1688, June 1999.
- Freedman G, Fowble B, Hanlon A, Nicolaou N, Fein D, Hoffman J, Sigurdson E, Boraas M, Goldstein L. Patients with early stage invasive cancer with close or positive margins treated with conservative surgery and radiation have an increased risk of breast recurrence that is delayed by adjuvant systemic therapy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 44(5):1005-1015, July 15, 1999.
- Fowble B, Hanlon A, Freedman G, Nicolaou N, Hoffman J, Sigurdson E, Boraas M, Torosian M, Goldstein L. Internal mammary node irradiation neither decreases distant metastases nor improves survival in stage I and II breast cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 47(4):883-894, July 1, 2000.
- Iyer RV, Hanlon A, Fowble B, Freedman G, Nicolaou N, Anderson P, Hoffman J, Sigurdson E, Boraas M, Torosian M. Accuracy of the extent of axillary nodal positivity related to primary tumor size, number of involved nodes, and number of nodes examined. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 47(5):1177-1183, July 15, 2000.
- Sasson AR, Fowble B, Hanlon AL, Torosian MH, Freedman G, Boraas M, Sigurdson ER, Hoffman JP, Eisenberg BL, Patchefsky A. Lobular carcinoma in situ increases the risk of local recurrence in selected patients with stages I and II breast carcinoma treated with conservative surgery and radiation. Cancer 91(10):1862-1869, May 15, 2001.
- Mullenix PS, Brown TA, Meyers MO, Giles LR, Sigurdson ER, Boraas MC, Hoffman JP, Eisenberg BL, Torosian MH. The association of cytokeratin-only-positive sentinel lymph nodes and subsequent metastases in breast cancer. American Journal of Surgery 189(5):606-609, May 2005.
- Vapiwal N, Starzyk J, Harris E, Tchou J, Boraas M, Czerniecki B, Rosato E, Solin L. Biopsy findings after breast conservation therapy for early-stage invasive breast cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 69(2):490-497, June 1, 2007.
- Weinstein SP, Orel S, Pinnamaneni N, Tchou J, Czerniecki B, Boraas M, Rosato E, Solin L. Mammographic Appearance of Recurrent Breast Cancer after Breast Conservation Therapy. Academic Radiology 15(2):240-244, September 2007
- Weinstein S, Orel S, Pinnamaneni N, Tchou J, Czerniecki B, Boraas M, Rosato E, Solin L. Mammographic Appearance of Recurrent Breast Cancer after Breast Conservation Therapy. Academic Radiology 15(2):240-244, February 2008.
- Tchou J, Greshock J, Sonnad S, Sargen M, Czerniecki B, Boraas M, Fraker D, Rosato E, Fox K, Weber B, Solin L. Method of primary tumor detection as a risk factor for local and distant recurrence after breast conservation therapy of early stage breast cancer. Clinical Breast Cancer 8(2):143-148, April 2008.
Reviews in Peer-Reviewed Research Publications:
- Boraas MC. Palliative surgery. [Review] Seminars in Oncology 12(4):368-374, Dec. 1985.
- Freedman GM, Fowble BL, Nicolaou N, Sigurdson ER, Torosian MH, Boraas MC, Hoffman JP. Should internal mammary lymph nodes in breast cancer be a target for the radiation oncologist? [Review] International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 46(4):805-814, Mar. 1, 2000.
- Chao C, Torosian MH, Boraas MC, Sigurdson ER, Hoffman JP, Eisenberg BL, Fowble B. Local recurrence of breast cancer in the stereotactic core needle biopsy site: Case reports and review of the literature. [Review] Breast Journal 7(2):124-127, Mar./Apr. 2001.
Research Publications, non-peer reviewed:
- Boraas M. Hepatic complications of total parenteral nutrition: Part I, description and etiology. Clinical Nutrition Newsletter, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Aug. 1981.
- Boraas M. Hepatic complications of total parenteral nutrition: Part II, treatment. Clinical Nutrition Newsletter, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Oct. 1981.
- Boraas M, Hain W, Mullen J. Liver dysfunction following jejunoileal bypass. Hospital Physician 18(7):73, July 1982.