Marcia Boraas, MD, FACS
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Follow on Twitter: @FCCCSurgOnc
Top Doctors 2015
- Diane Check - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Triple Negative Breast Cancer
- Barbara Davis - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Renee Dratch testimonial - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Mary Jean Flannery - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Audrey Lam - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Robin Luber - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Clinical-Trials Patient Stories
- Jamie Rosati - Mammography Van Patient Stories, Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Sonia Smith - Clinical-Trials Patient Stories, Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Linda Snow - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Triple Negative Breast Cancer
(Feb 11, 2013)
Meet other members of the
breast cancer treatment team.
American Board of Surgery
I’ve been caring for women in the Philadelphia area with breast cancer for over 25 years. After graduating from Princeton University, I attended medical school and completed my surgical residency at the University of Pennsylvania. I was a breast surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania for seven years, and prior to that I was on the staff of Fox Chase Cancer Center. I was pleased to return to Fox Chase.
While I am a strong supporter of the research programs here at Fox Chase, my personal practice is entirely devoted to patient care, focusing on those diagnosed or suspected to have breast cancer, or who may be at high risk.
In my experience, Fox Chase has always valued an individualized approach to breast cancer treatment, offering their comprehensive resources in a patient-centered setting. The Women’s Cancer Center at Fox Chase provides a bright and peaceful environment in which those necessary resources can more easily be gathered.
Although it is impossible to comprehend the anxiety which accompanies the possibility or the confirmation of a breast cancer diagnosis, the truth is that most women who are treated will be well. In my practice, that important and shared understanding is essential to any discussion of surgical therapy and in making truly collaborative treatment decisions. I believe that offering personalized, and hopeful, care to women with breast cancer is what continues to make my work so rewarding.
MD, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1977
Resident in Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA ;
Chief Resident in General Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
American Cancer Society Clinical Fellowship, Philadelphia, PA;
Postdoctoral Fellow in Surgical Research, Harrison Department of Surgical Research, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
Honors and Awards
Best Doctors in America®, Best Doctors Inc., 2007, 2009-2010, 2013-2014;
Philadelphia Magazine Top Docs 2011-2015;
The first "Tickled Pink" Award from the Philadelphia Chapter of Teens for the Cure/Susan G. Komen for the Cure, November 2009;
I.S. Ravdin Prize, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 1977;
Alpha Omega Alpha, 1976
American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- Bleicher RJ, Ruth K, Sigurdson ER, Ross E, Wong Yu-Ning, Patel S, Boraas M, Topham N, Egleston B, Preoperative Delays in the US Medicare Population with Breast Cancer, JCO Dec.20, 2012, Vol. 30 no. 36; 4485-4492 PMID:23169513 PMCID:PMC3518727
- Loveland-Jones CE, Ruth K, Sigurdson ER, Egleston BL, Boraas M, Bleicher RJ. Patterns of Nodal Staging during Breast Conservation Surgery in the Medicare Patient: will the ASCOSOGZ0011 trial change the pattern or care? Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 143 (3):571-7, 2014
- Silverman D, Ruth K, Sigurdson ER, Egleston BL, Goldstein LJ, Wong YN, Boraas M, Bleicher, RJ.Skin Involvement and Breast Cancer: Are T4b Lesions of All Sizes Created Equal? J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Apr 20, pil:S1072-7515 (14)00340-8, doi:10.1016/j_jamcollsurg.2014.04.003 PMID:25026875
- Nardello SM, Kulkarni N, Aggon A, Boraas M., Sigurdson ER, Bleicher RJ. Invasive MucinousCarcinoma Arising in Ectopic Axillary Breast Tissue. A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Am J Case Rep 2014; Am J Case Rep 2015: 16:153-159 DOI 10.12659/AJCR.892650
- Bleicher, Richard J, Ruth, Karen J, Sigurdson, Elin R, Beck, J. Robert, Ross, Eric, Wong, Yu-Ning, Patel, Sameer A, Boraas, Marcia, Chang, Eric, Topham, Neal S. Egleston, Brian. Time to Surgery and Breast Cancer Survival in the United States: JAMA Oncology. In press
- Bleicher RJ, Ruth K, Sigurdson ER, Evers K, Wong Yu-Ning, Boraas M, Egleston BL,
(In)- Efficiencies in the Preoperative Imaging Evaluation of the Medicare Breast Cancer
Patient, Dept. of Surgical Oncology, Biostatistics, Diagnostic Imaging and Medical
Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA, 2011.