John P. Hoffman, MD, FACS
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Follow on Twitter: @FCCCSurgOnc
Video: John Hoffman, MD, FACS
Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Cancer Treatment at Fox Chase Cancer Center
Top Doctors 2014
- Jessica Basciano - Liver Cancer (Bile Duct Cancer) Patient Stories
- Beth Brendlinger - Colon Cancer Patient Stories
- Barbara Cremean - Esophageal Cancer Patient Stories, Leiomyosarcoma Patient Stories
- Deborah Dahl - Colon Cancer Patient Stories, Liver Cancer (Bile Duct Cancer) Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Donald Ebaugh - Liver Cancer (Bile Duct Cancer) Patient Stories
- Rosalie Fox - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Colon Cancer Patient Stories
- Carol Hobson - Liver Cancer (Bile Duct Cancer) Patient Stories
- Ray Ingaran - Leiomyosarcoma Patient Stories, Prostate Cancer Patient Stories
- Barbara Lanza - Pancreatic Cancer Patient Stories
- Novella Lyons - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Baha Malik - Pancreatic Cancer Patient Stories
- Laura Marblestone - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
- Maria Mora - Ampullary Cancer Patient Stories
- Richard Bellis - Colon Cancer Patient Stories
- Shirley Shackelford - Pancreatic Cancer Patient Stories
- Genevieve Sliker - Pancreatic Cancer Patient Stories
- Linda Snow - Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Triple Negative Breast Cancer
- Norma Snyder - Inflammatory Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories, Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Breast Cancer Patient Stories, Risk Assessment Program Patient Stories
- Harvey Stuckley - Anorectal Cancer Patient Stories
- Ben Van Horn - Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST) Patient Stories, Clinical-Trials Patient Stories
(Feb 11, 2013)
Chief, Pancreaticobiliary Service
Marvin S. Greenberg, MD Chair in Pancreatic Cancer Surgery
Meet other members of the gastrointestinal cancer treatment team.
American Board of Surgery
I joined Fox Chase in 1986. I entered the field of surgical oncology because it was the field in the mid-1970s that was most interesting to me and the one that needed the most work. When my father developed a metastatic colon cancer in 1978, I was given further motivation to work in this field. This happened when I was in my first year of Surgical Oncology Fellowship at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. While there, I took an extra year of training in pancreatic and liver surgery.
My first job after fellowship was as the Director of the Division of Surgical Oncology at Loyola University School of Medicine in Maywood, Illinois. After 6 years there, I moved to Fox Chase, where I could concentrate fully on the treatment and the advancement of treatment for cancer. Since that time, I have seen many wonderful advances in the treatment of many cancers.
Much of my time and effort over the past 20 years here have been spent on the development of the treatment for pancreatic cancer. While we still have a long way to go before this scourge is defeated, I can remember when doctors were against any treatment, surgery or other, for pancreatic cancer because it was so hopeless. We now have many different drugs that have activity against the cancer and are in the process of testing which ones are optimal, both in concert with surgical resection, or alone (when resection is neither possible nor feasible). I still see patients from whom I've resected pancreatic cancer 10 to 18 years ago!
Every day at Fox Chase is a pleasure for me. The entire hospital is composed of people who recognize that every patient is a special cancer fighter, and therefore they all are treated as unique individuals. It is this total institutional dedication, as well as my 30 years of cancer treatment experience, that should convince you to let us take care of you.
Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, 1970
General Surgery, Virginia Mason Hospital, Seattle, Wash.
Surgical Oncology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
Honors and Awards
Best Doctors in America® 2014
Philadelphia Magazine Top Docs, 2009-2014