Gina M. Mantia-Smaldone, MD
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497
Video: Gina Mantia-Smaldone, MD
- Patti Rose - Breast Cancer Patient Stories
Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology
Meet other members of the gynecological cancer treatment team.
Minimally Invasive Surgery (Laparoscopy and Robotic Surgery), Ovarian Cancer, Fallopian Tube Cancer, Endometrial Cancer and Hyperplasia, Uterine Sarcoma, Cervical Cancer and Dysplasia, Vulvar Cancer and Dysplasia, Vaginal Cancer and Dysplasia, Gestational Trophoblastic Disease, Surgical Management of Pelvic Masses
Certifications:American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (certified)
I am excited to join the Gynecologic Cancer Patient Care Team at the Fox Chase Cancer Center. I chose to work at Fox Chase where I can provide comprehensive, cutting-edge oncologic care by translating advances in research directly into my clinical practice.
As a Gynecologic Oncologist, I specialize in the surgical and medical management of tumors of the uterus, cervix, ovary, fallopian tube, vulva and vagina. I have extensive experience with complex open, laparoscopic and robotic surgery, which allows me to tailor a surgical plan based upon a patient’s needs and preferences. I also have expertise in administering intravenous and intraperitoneal chemotherapy for gynecologic malignancies. As a member of the multi-disciplinary Gynecologic Cancer Patient Care Team, I work closely with my colleagues in Medical and Radiation Oncology to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that offers the best chance of cure for each patient.
I appreciate the challenges and commitment necessary to care for cancer patients. I understand that a cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming for patients and their families, and I always treat patients how I would want my family members to be treated: with honesty and compassion. I devote the time necessary to educate my patients on their options so that they are best able to make an informed decision about their treatment.
Professionally, my research interests focus on endometriosis-associated ovarian cancer and hereditary ovarian cancer, including those resulting from BRCA1 or 2 mutations. The abundant resources available at the Fox Chase Cancer Center as well as my research experiences during my Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Magee-Womens Research Institute and as a Clinical Fellow at the University of Pennsylvania allow for me to participate in translational research and to investigate innovative therapies to improve the quality of life for women suffering from gynecologic malignancies.
Medical EducationMD, State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York, 2004
BA, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Boston University, Boston, MA 2000
ResidenciesObstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Magee-Womens Hospital, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, 2004-2008
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Ovarian Cancer Immunology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Magee-Womens Research Institute/University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2008-2010;
Clinical Fellow, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2010-2013
American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
American Association for Cancer Research
Society of Gynecologic Oncologists
Alpha Omega Alpha, American Association for Cancer Research, Society of Gynecologic Oncology
1. Fertility and gynecologic cancers
2. Endometriosis-related ovarian cancer
3. Hereditary ovarian cancer
4. Immunotherapy and ovarian cancer
Dr. Mantia-Smaldone on PubMed
- Wright AA, Cronin A, Milne DE, Bookman MA, Burger RA, Cohn DE, Cristea MC, Griggs JJ, Keating NL, Levenback CF, Mantia-Smaldone G, Matulonis UA, Meyer LA, Niland JC, Weeks JC, O'Malley DM. Use and Effectiveness of Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy for Treatment of Ovarian Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Sep 10;33(26):2841-7. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2015.61.4776. Epub 2015 Aug 3.
- Higuchi T, Flies DB, Marjon NA, Mantia-Smaldone G, Ronner L, Gimotty PA, Adams SF. CTLA-4 Blockade Synergizes with PARP inhibition in BRCA1-deficient Ovarian cancer. Cancer Immunol Res. 2015 Jul 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Suryawanshi S, Budiu R, Elishaev E, Zhang L, Kim S, Tseng G, Mantia-Smaldone G, Ma T, Donnellan N, Lee T, Mansuria S, Edwards RP, Huang X and Vlad AM. Complement pathway is frequently altered in endometriosis and endometriosis-associated ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Dec 1;20(23):6163-74. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-14-1338. Epub 2014 Oct 7.
- Mantia-Smaldone G, Ronner L, Blair A, Gamerman V, Morse C, Orsulic S, Rubin S, Gimotty P and Adams SF. The immunomodulatory effects of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin are amplified in BRCA1-deficienct ovarian tumors and can be exploited to improve treatment response in a mouse model. Gynecol Oncol. 2014 Jun;133(3):584-90. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2014.03.565. Epub 2014 Mar 27.
- Mantia-Smaldone G, Bagley LJ, Kasner SE and Chu CS. Vertebral artery dissection and cerebral infarction in a patient with recurrent ovarian cancer receiving bevacizumab. Gynecologic Oncology Case Reports. Volume 5, August 2013, 37-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gynor.2013.04.002
- Chiang CL, Kandalaft L, Tanyi J, Hagemann A, Motz G, Svoronos N, Smith L, Montone K, Mantia-Smaldone G, Nisenbaum H, Torigian D, Levine B, Mick R, Kalos M, Czerniecki B, Powell D, and Coukos G. A Dendritic Cell Vaccine Pulsed with Autologous Hypochlorous Acid-Oxidized Ovarian Cancer Lysate Primes Effective Broad Antitumor Immunity: From Bench to Bedside. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 Jul 15 [Epub ahead of print]
- Mantia-Smaldone GM and Chu CS. A Review of Dendritic Cell Therapy for Cancer: Progress and Challenges. BioDrugs. 2013 Oct;27(5):453-68. doi: 10.1007/s40259-013-0030-9.
- Suryawanshi S, Vlad AM, Lin H, Mantia-Smaldone G, Laskey R, Lee M, Lin Y, Donnellan N, Klein-Patel M, Lee T, Mansuria S , Elishaev E, Budiu R, Edwards R, and Huang X. Plasma microRNAs as Novel Biomarkers for Endometriosis and Endometriosis-Associated Ovarian Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 Mar 1; 19(5): 1213-24.
Mantia-Smaldone G, Corr B and Chu CS. Immunotherapy in Ovarian Cancer. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics. 2012 Sep 1; 8(9). 2012 Sep; 8(9):1179-91. doi: 10.4161/hv.20738. Epub 2012 Aug 21.
- Mantia-Smaldone GM, Edwards RP and Vlad AM. Targeted treatment of recurrent platinum
resistant ovarian cancer: current and emerging therapies. Cancer Management and Research.
2011(3): 25-38. doi: 10.2147/CMR.S8759. Epub 2010 Dec 30.
- Mantia-Smaldone G*, Budiu R*, Elishaev E, Chu T, Thaller J, McCabe K, Lenzner D, Edwards
RP and Vlad AM. Soluble MUC1 and serum MUC1-specific antibodies are potential prognostic
biomarkers for platinum-resistant ovarian cancer. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2011 Jul: 60 (7):
975-84. 2011 Jul; 60(7):975-84. doi: 10.1007/s00262-011-1010-x. Epub 2011 Apr 2. (*Both
authors contributed equally to this work).
- Mantia Smaldone GM, Richard SD and Edwards RP. Pregnancy outcomes after conservative
surgical management of ovarian neoplasms treated at a single institution. Int J Gynecol Cancer.
2010 Aug; 20(6):926-31.
- Mantia Smaldone G, Krohn M and McGee E. Cervical Cancer and Risk for Delivery of Small-for-Gestational Age Neonates. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2010 May; 19(5):969-74.
- Mantia Smaldone G, Richard S, Krivak T, Kelley J and Edwards R. Pregnancy After Tumor
Debulking and Intraperitoneal Cisplatin for Appendiceal Carcinoid Tumor. Obstet Gynecol. 2007
Aug; 110 (2 Pt 2): 477-9.