John A. Ridge, MD, PhD, FACS
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497
Follow on Twitter: @FCCCSurgOnc
Video: John Ridge, MD, PhD, FACS
Top Doctors 2015
- William Buehler - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories
- Beatriz Acosta Buitrago - Thyroid Cancer Patient Stories
- Patricia Cantwell - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories, Osteosarcoma Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories
- Louis Della Penna - Kidney Cancer Patient Stories
- Bob Devlin - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories, Prostate Cancer Patient Stories, Squamous Cell Cancer Patient Stories, Surgical Treatment for Prostate Cancer Patient Stories
- Michael Kostic - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories, Radiation Treatment for Prostate Cancer Patient Stories
- Kevin Logan - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories, Squamous Cell Cancer Patient Stories
- Charlie Osborne - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories
- Lynn Schoepske - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories
- Jerold Wilck, DDS - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories, Oral Cancer Patient Stories, Squamous Cell Cancer Patient Stories
- Karen Williams - Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories, Oral Cancer Patient Stories, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Patient Stories
- B. Mark Wilson - Clinical-Trials Patient Stories, Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories
(Feb 11, 2013)
Chief, Head and Neck Surgery
Louis Della Penna Family Chair in Head and Neck Oncology
Meet other members of the
head and neck cancer treatment team.
American Board of Surgery
I came to the department of surgical oncology at Fox Chase Cancer Center in 1991, moving from San Francisco to join one of the country's first multispecialty head and neck cancer teams. Since then, I have dedicated my career to curing as many patients with head and neck cancer as possible, while providing all of them with the best quality of life.
I recognized years ago that many patients with head and neck cancer could be cured and enjoy a high quality of life if they were treated with radiation and sometimes with chemotherapy, instead of with operations. As a result, I have worked closely with other cancer specialists to care for many patients without radical surgery. The Fox Chase Cancer Center team is well-known and highly regarded because we work together to offer each patient the treatments that will help them best.
Head and neck cancer is uncommon, and modern treatment of head and neck cancer can be complex. Our experienced and talented team employs skills developed through years of working together to cure patients with these rare tumors. We draw together common threads to craft a plan for each patient.
The head and neck surgeon must be willing to recommend care best suited to the patient and their cancer. Some patients will do better with an operation, but many will not. As radiation and chemotherapy treatments improve, major operations have become less necessary in the care of some patients with head and neck cancer. However, ongoing advances in surgery have also allowed us to spare some patients the long-term side effects of radiation therapy. Today the laser and the surgical robot allow us to control many tumors without need for high doses of radiation and chemotherapy. We have refined and developed techniques for the safe removal of many primary and recurrent tumors, and our team uses sophisticated reconstruction to cure cancers of the head and neck while allowing patients to pursue a high quality of life.
Every patient is unique, and we provide each one with a personal plan that is based upon their health, way of life, and their cancer.
As a researcher, I am honored to have played a role in the development and execution of important clinical trials that have led to improvements in quality of life for many patients with head and neck cancer.
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif., 1981
(PhD in Biochemistry, 1978)
General Surgery, University of Colorado, Denver, Colo.
Surgical Oncology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, N.Y.
Honors and Awards
Best Doctors in America® 2013-2015;
Philadelphia Magazine Top Doctors 2005-2015
American Head and Neck Society, President ;
American Radium Society,
American College of Surgeons, Fellow;
American Association of Endocrine Surgeons;
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists;
The Society of Surgical Oncology, Fellow;
American Society of Clinical Oncology;
Nonsurgical Management of Head and Neck Cancer; Organ Preservation; New Techniques in Head and Neck Surgery; Early and Advanced Thyroid Tumors; Clinical Trial Design
Dr Ridge on My NCBI
- Murphy CT, Galloway TJ, Handorf EA, Egleston BL, Wang LS, Mehra R, Flieder DB, Ridge JA. The survival impact of increasing time to treatment initiation for patient with head and neck cancer in the United States. J Clin Oncol, in press
- Lango MN, Galloway TJ, Mehra R, Ebersole B, Liu JC, Moran K, Ridge JA. Impact
of baseline patient-reported dysphagia on acute gastrostomy placement in patients
with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma undergoing definitive radiation. Head
Neck. 2015 Aug 31. doi: 10.1002/hed.24220. PubMed PMID:
- Beck TN, Kaczmar J, Handorf E, Nikonova A, Dubyk C, Peri S, Lango M, Ridge JA,
Serebriiskii IG, Burtness B, Golemis EA, Mehra R. Phospho-T356RB1 predicts
survival in HPV-negative squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck.
Oncotarget. 2015 Aug 7;6(22):18863-74. PubMed PMID: 26265441.
- Ridge JA. Why "head and neck cancer"? Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2015
Jul;24(3):xv-xvi. doi: 10.1016/j.soc.2015.04.001. PubMed PMID: 25979405.
- Ringash J, Bernstein LJ, Cella D, Logemann J, Movsas B, Murphy B, Trotti A, Wells N, Yueh B, Ridge J. Outcomes toolbox for head and neck cancer research. Head Neck. 2015 Mar;37(3):425-39. doi: 10.1002/hed.23561. Epub 2015 Jan 22.
- Pfister DG, Spencer S, Brizel DM, Burtness B, Busse PM, Caudell JJ, Cmelak
AJ, Colevas AD, Dunphy F, Eisele DW, Gilbert J, Gillison ML, Haddad RI, Haughey
BH, Hicks WL Jr, Hitchcock YJ, Jimeno A, Kies MS, Lydiatt WM, Maghami E, Martins
R, McCaffrey T, Mell LK, Mittal BB, Pinto HA, Ridge JA, Rodriguez CP, Samant S,
Schuller DE, Shah JP, Weber RS, Wolf GT, Worden F, Yom SS, McMillian NR, Hughes
M. Head and neck cancers, Version 2.2014. Clinical practice guidelines in
oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2014 Oct;12(10):1454-87. PubMed PMID: 25313184.
- Tejani MA, Galloway TJ, Lango M, Ridge JA, von Mehren M. Head and neck
sarcomas: a comprehensive cancer center experience. Cancers (Basel). 2013 Jul
15;5(3):890-900. doi: 10.3390/cancers5030890. PubMed PMID: 24202325; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3795370.
- Mehra R, Zhu F, Yang DH, Cai KQ, Weaver J, Singh MK, Nikonova AS, Golemis EA,
Flieder DB, Cooper HS, Lango M, Ridge JA, Burtness B. Quantification of excision
repair cross-complementing group 1 and survival in p16-negative squamous cell
head and neck cancers. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 Dec 1;19(23):6633-43. doi:
10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-13-0152. Epub 2013 Oct 2. PubMed PMID: 24088734; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4045641.
- Lango M, Flieder D, Arrangoiz R, Veloski C, Yu JQ, Li T, Burtness B, Mehra R,
Galloway T, Ridge JA. Extranodal extension of metastatic papillary thyroid
carcinoma: correlation with biochemical endpoints, nodal persistence, and
systemic disease progression. Thyroid. 2013 Sep;23(9):1099-105. doi:
10.1089/thy.2013.0027. PubMed PMID: 23421588; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3770240.
- Garg MK, Ridge JA, Yom SS, McDonald MW, Quon H, Smith RV, Yeung AR, Lawson J, Saba N, Salama JK, Beitler JJ. Reply, contralateral irradiation for
T(limited)N2bM0 lateralized tonsil cancer. Head Neck. 2013 Mar;35(3):465-6. doi:
10.1002/hed.23212. Epub 2013 Feb 5. PubMed PMID: 23386559.
- Expert Panel on Radiation Oncology--Head & Neck Cancer:, Yeung AR, Garg MK,
Lawson J, McDonald MW, Quon H, Ridge JA, Saba N, Salama JK, Smith RV, Yom SS,
Beitler JJ; American College of Radiology. ACR Appropriateness Criteria®
ipsilateral radiation for squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil. Head Neck. 2012
May;34(5):613-6. doi: 10.1002/hed.21993. Epub 2012 Jan 17. PubMed PMID: 22250010.
- Tuttle RM, Ball DW, Byrd D, Dilawari RA, Doherty GM, Duh QY, Ehya H, Farrar
WB, Haddad RI, Kandeel F, Kloos RT, Kopp P, Lamonica DM, Loree TR, Lydiatt WM,
McCaffrey JC, Olson JA Jr, Parks L, Ridge JA, Shah JP, Sherman SI, Sturgeon C,
Waguespack SG, Wang TN, Wirth LJ; National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Thyroid carcinoma. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2010 Nov;8(11):1228-74. PubMed PMID: 21081783.