Celebration of Women
Topics in This Section
Risk Assessment at Fox Chase
Learning what you can do to lower your chances of getting cancer.
Read more »
Learn Your Cancer Risk
Determine Your Cancer Risks.
Read more »
Fox Chase Cancer Center and Lincoln University partner for cancer research and training.
Read more »
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Each year, Fox Chase Cancer Center invites local women and their children living in transitional housing to this special event. Joining Fox Chase staff and volunteers, the participants learn how to face domestic violence, as well as the importance of cancer screening and prevention. Topping off the day was an afternoon of pampering. Participants left with a goody bag that including gently used clothing and accessories.
Keynote Speaker: L.Y. Marlow
"My book is written for women who need the courage to transform their lives, as I did," Marlow says. "If I can touch one of the women here today, then my job is done. My story is their story." Marlow believes that domestic violence has been silenced long enough. Through her national speaking engagements, Marlow has inspired many women to face violence in their lives and put an end to it. A signed copy of the book was given to all attendees.
- Welcome - Lori Wilson, NBC10 News Reporter, co-host of 'The 10! Show'
- Keynote address - L.Y. Marlow, author of "Color Me Butterfly"
- Nurse Panel Discussion, lead by Fox Chase nurse educators, Carol Cherry, Ginny Martin and Sharon Schwartz; along with Kim LeMaitre of the Pennsylvania Cancer Education Network and Denise Lantz, nutrition counselor for Attentive Health.
- Lunch and Raffles, hosted by Doug Henderson, WDAS Radio Personality
- Pampering Services, including massage and makeovers
Special thanks to Kim Adams and the Tiberi family for their generous financial support to the Celebration of Women. Fox Chase thanks all the sponsors and volunteers who help make this event a success!
In the News
For additional information: Fox Chase Cancer Center Hosts a Day of Pampering for Women Living in Transitional Housing.
Want to learn more?
Interested in joining our committee, volunteering, sponsoring or donating clothing and accessories for next year's event? Contact Linda Hammell by e-mail, or by phone 215-728-3554.