High School Immersion Science Program
Fox Chase Research Faculty - Alphabetical Listing
Our research faculty
Read more »
Immersion Science Laboratory
Call for applications
Fox Chase Cancer Center is offering a unique 10-week high school student laboratory training program for select individuals. The goal of the Immersion Science program is to provide comprehensive science research training to high school students in order to prepare them for future careers in science and medicine.
This no-cost, challenging, highly selective, college-level course is designed to mimic the experience of joining a Fox Chase research laboratory, with a very high instructor to student ratio (1:4). Students will gain hands-on training in basic laboratory techniques and conceptual skills including experimental design and analysis, the cellular basis for cancer, and statistical analysis, as well as gaining an appreciation for the importance of working together as a team to address a significant biomedical problem. Each student will design and complete an independent project that addresses the effects of chemotherapy treatments on normal cells. Upon completion of the course, students will present their work to their classmates, families, and Fox Chase scientists and staff.
Course Requirements for Students:
- Students MUST be 16 years old by January 15, 2014 to participate.
- Completion of high school Biology and Chemistry courses are required (one of these courses may be concurrent). Students must commit to attend all 10 weeks of this highly competitive program. Sessions are 3 hours:
- Section 1 will run from 8:30am-11:30am on consecutive Saturdays from January 18 through March 29, 2014
- Section 2 will run from 4:00pm-7:00pm on consecutive Wednesdays from January 22 through March 26, 2014 with the final session on Saturday, March 29, 2014
- Parental consent is required (please see application)
The Application Process:
- Submit a completed application (http://www.fccc.edu/research/pregraduatePrograms/) by no later than midnight on November 18, 2013. Applications may be emailed to Immersion.Science@fccc.edu, sent by fax (215-728-3574) or by mail to:
FCCC High School Training Program
Attn: Immersion Science Program
333 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Applications will be reviewed by a 12-member selection committee. Approximately 24 students will be selected for on-site interviews with members of the selection committee the week of December 9, 2013. Following the interviews, 16 students will be selected for participation in the course.
Check back in Fall 2014 for the 2015 Immersion Science Application.