Yanis Boumber, MD, PhD
Office Phone: (215) 728-3135
Tumor Drivers and New Treatments in Lung Cancer
Non-small cell lung cancer remains the deadliest of cancers, and despite many advances in therapeutic management, the five-year survival rate this disease remains very low. The long-term goal of my laboratory is to establish an expertise in translational research addressing lung cancer biology and the treatment of thoracic malignancies.
Part of our research focuses on the role of Musashi-2 (Msi2) in non-small cell lung cancer. The Musashi family of RNA-binding protein regulates mRNA translation to control numerous cancer-related signaling processes. Our preliminary studies for the first time identified Msi2 as an oncogene driving lung cancer progression. We are using mouse models, human cell lines, and analysis of primary tumor samples to define to function of Msi2. The goal of this work is to obtain a better understanding of the events contributing to lung cancer progression, with the anticipation that this knowledge will support more effective use of targeted and cytotoxic therapies in the clinical setting.
Another important focus of the laboratory is small cell lung cancer (SCLC). This is an aggressive and deadly disease, with essentially no effective treatments, no new drugs approved in recent decades, and no targeted agents in existence. We are currently evaluating a new class of drugs developed by Synta Pharmaceuticals which use anticancer drugs conjugated to an HSP90–binding moiety as a novel way to deliver anticancer agents directly to tumors. In the lab, we focused on pre-clinical safety and efficacy and mechanistic studies of this new compound in cell lines and in mice. The proposed study could be a step forward to development of future effective treatment strategies for small cell lung cancer patients.
- Kuang SQ, Fang Z, Zweidler-McKay PA, Yang H, Wei Y, Gonzalez-Cervantes EA, Boumber Y, Garcia-Manero G. Epigenetic Inactivation of Notch-hes Pathway in Human B-cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. PLoS One 26;8(4):e61807, April 2013
- Boumber Y, Kantarjian H, Jorgensen J, Faderl S, Castoro R, Autry J, Garcia-Manero G, Borthakur G, Jabbour E, Estrov Z, Cortes J, Issa JP, Ravandi F. Final Report of a Randomized Study of Decitabine Versus Conventional Care for Maintenance Therapy in Patients with Intermediate and High Risk Acute Myeloid Leukemia in First or Subsequent Complete Remission. Leukemia; 26 (11):2428-31, November 2012
- Konishi K, Watanabe Y, Shen L, Guo Y, Castoro RJ, Kondo K, Chung W, Ahmed S, Jelinek J, Boumber YA, Estecio MR, Maegawa S, Kondo Y, Itoh F, Imawari M, Hamilton SR, Issa JP. DNA Methylation Profiles of Primary Colorectal Carcinoma and Matched Liver Metastasis. PLoS One; 6(11):e27889, 2011
- Boumber Y, Younes A, Garcia-Manero G. Mocetinostat (MGCD0103): A Review of an Isotype-Specific Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor. Expert Opinion in Investigational Drugs;20(6):823-9, June 2011
- Boumber Y and Issa, JP. Epigenetics- What's the Future? Oncology;25(3):220-6, 228, March 2011
- Si J, Boumber YA, Shu J, Qin T, Ahmed S, He R, Jelinek J, Issa JP. Chromatin Remodeling is Required for Gene Reactivation After 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine Mediated DNA Hypomethylation. Cancer Research,1;70(17):6968-77, Sept. 2010