Barbara Burtness, MD
- Chung C, Seeley E, Roder H, Grigorieva J, Tsypin M, Roder J, Burtness B, Argiris A, Forastiere A, Gilbert J, Murphy B, Caprioli R, Carbone D, Cohen E. Detection of Tumor Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Pathway Dependence by Serum Mass Spectrometry in Cancer Patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010;19:35865.
- Turaka A, Li T, Yu JQ, Nicolaou N, Burtness B, Lango MN, Ridge JA, Feigenberg SJ. Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) for Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid Sci. 2010;5:CLS1-5.
- Chun, YS, Milestone BN, Watson JC, Cohen SJ, Burtness B, Haluszka O, Tokar JL, Hall MJ, Denlinger CS, Dushkin H, Astsaturov I, Kuritzky NK, Hoffman JP. Defining venous involvement in borderline resectable pancreatic cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2010 Nov;17(11):2832-8.
- Rusthoven KE, Feigenberg, SJ, Raben D, Kane M, Song JI, Nicolaou N, Mehra R, Burtness B, Ridge J, Swing R, Lango M, Cohen R, Jimeno A, Chen C. Initial results of a phase I dose-escalation trial of concurrent and maintenance erlotinib and reirradiation for recurrent and new primary head and neck cancer. Int J Radiation. Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;78:1020-5.
- Pectasides E, Egloff AM, Sasaki C, Kountourakis P, Burtness B, Fountzilas G, Dafni U, Zaramboukas T, Rampias T, Rimm D, Grandis J, Psyrri A. Nuclear Localization of Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription 3 in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Is Associated with a Better Prognosis. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:2427-34.
- Turaka A, Li T, Nicolaou N, Lango MN, Burtness B, Horwitz EM, Ridge JA, Feigenberg SJ. Use of a Conventional Low Neck Field (LNF) and Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT): No Clinical Detriment of IMRT to an Anterior LNF During the Treatment of Head-and Neck-Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Apr 10. [Epub ahead of print].
- Astsaturov IA, Meropol NJ, Alpaugh RK, Burtness BA, Cheng JD, McLaughlin S, Rogatko A, Xu Z, Watson JC, Weiner LM, Cohen SJ. Phase II and Coagulation Cascade Biomarker Study of Bevacizumab With or Without Docetaxel in Patients With Previously Treated Metastatic Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol. 2010 May 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Andrews G, Lango M, Cohen R, Feigenberg S, Burtness B, Mehra R, Ahmed S, Nicolaou N, Gaughan J, Ridge JA. Non-surgical management of oropharyngeal, laryngeal and hypopharyngeal cancer: the Fox Chase Cancer Center experience. Head and Neck. Forthcoming 2010.
- Argiris A, Ghebremichael M, Burtness B, Axelrod R, Deconti R, Forastiere AA. A phase II trial of bortezomib followed by the addition of doxorubicin at progression in patients with recurrent or metastatic adenoid cystic carcinoma of the head and neck: a trial of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (E1303). Cancer. Forthcoming 2010.
- Turaka A, Li T, Sharma NK, Li L, Nicolaou N, Mehra R, Burtness B, Cohen RB, Lango MN, Horwitz EM, Ridge JA, Feigenberg SJ. Increased Recurrences Using Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy in the Postoperative Setting. Am J Clin Oncol. 2010 Nov 8. [Epub ahead of print].
- Burtness B, M Gibson, B Egleston, R Mehra, L Thomas, R Sipples, M McGurk, J Lacy, S Watkins, JR Murren, AA Forastiere. Phase II Trial of Docetaxel/Irinotecan Combination in Advanced Esophageal Cancer. Ann Oncol. 2009;20:1242-8.
- Burtness BA, Manola J, Axelrod R, et al. A randomized Phase II study of ixabepilone (BMS-247550) given daily x 5 days every 3 weeks or weekly in patients with metastatic or recurrent squamous cell cancer of the head and neck: An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group study. Annals Oncol. 2008;19:977-83.
- Psyrri A, Egleston B, Weinberger P, Yu Z, Kowalski D, Sasaki C, Haffty B, Rimm D, Burtness B. Correlates and determinants of nuclear epidermal growth factor receptor content in an oropharyngeal cancer tissue microarray. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17:1486-92.
- Abu-Khalaf M, Juneja V, Chung G, DiGiovanna M, Wackers F, Lee F. and Burtness B. Long-term assessment of cardiac function after dose-dense and -intense sequential doxorubicin (A), paclitaxel (T), and cyclophosphamide (C) as adjuvant therapy for high risk breast cancer. Br Ca Treat Rep. 2007;104:341-9.
- Yu A, PM Weinberger, C Sasaki, BL Egleston, WF Speier IV, B Haffty, D Kowalski, R Camp, D Rimm, E Vairaktaris, B Burtness, A Psyrri. Phosphorylation of Akt (Ser473) Predicts Poor Clinical Outcome in Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Cancer Cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007;16:553-558.
- Zerkowski MP, RL Camp, BA Burtness, DL Rimm, and GG Chung. Automated image analysis of cyclooxygenase-2 (Cox-2) expression on a breast cancer tissue microarray. Cancer Invest. 2007;25:19-26.
- Burtness B, Thomas L, Sipples R, McGurk M, Salikooti S, Christoforou M, Mirto G, Salem R, Sosa J, Kloss R, Rahman Z, Chung G, Lacy J, Murren JR. Phase II Trial of weekly docetaxel/irinotecan combination in advanced pancreatic cancer. Cancer J. 2007;13:257-262.
- Heath EI, BA Burtness, L Kleinberg, R Salem, SC Yang, RF Heitmiller, MI Canto, JPS Knisely, M Topazian, E Montgomery, Y Pithavala, B Rohmiller, M Collier, AA Forastiere. Phase II, parallel-design study of preoperative combined modality therapy and the matrix metalloprotease (MMP) inhibitor prinomastat in patients with esophageal adenocarcinoma. Inv New Drug. 2006;24:135-40.
- Chung GG, Yoon HH, Zerkowski MP, Rimm DL, Camp R, Harigopal M, LCharette LA, Burtness BA. Quantitative analysis of VEGF, Flt-1, and Flk-1 expression on a pancreatic cancer tissue microarray. Cancer. 2006;106:1677-84.
- Kwong M S, GC Chung, L J Horvath, D Carter, A G Hsu, B A Ward, B Haffty, F Tavassoli, B A Burtness. Discordance between breast magnetic resonance imaging and residual disease on pathology in responders to neoadjuvant chemotherapy for stage III breast cancer. Cancer J. 2006;12:212-21.
- Bossuyt V, O Fadare, M Martel, B Burtness, R Camp, F Tavassoli. Remarkably high frequency of EGFR expression in breast carcinomas with squamous differentiation. Int J Surg Pathol. 2005;13:319-327.
- Burtness BA, Y Li, M Goldwasser, W Flood, B Mattar, A Forastiere. Phase III randomized trial of cisplatin + placebo versus cisplatin + C225, a monoclonal antibody directed to the epidermal growth factor receptor, for the treatment of advanced or recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trial. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:8646-8654.
- Psyrri A, Z Yu, PM Weinberger, C Sasaki, B Haffty, R Camp, D Rimm, B Burtness. Quantitative determination of nuclear and cytoplasmic epidermal growth factor receptor expression in oropharyngeal squamous cell cancer by using automated quantitative analysis. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;1:5856-62.
- Psyrri A, M Kwong, L Lekakis, M Kassar, C Sasaki, L Wilson, B Haffty, Y H Son, D A Ross, P Weinberger, G Chung, D Zelterman, B A Burtness, D L Cooper. Cisplatin, 5-Fluorouracil and Leucovorin (PFL) Induction chemotherapy followed by concurrent cisplatin chemoradiotherapy for organ preservation and cure in patients with advanced head and neck cancer: long-term follow-up. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22(15):3061-9.
- Gibson MK, S Abraham, TT Wu, B Burtness and A Forastiere. Epidermal growth factor receptor, p53 mutation and pathologic response predict survival in patients with locally advanced esophageal cancer treated with pre-operative chemoradiotherapy. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9(17):6461-8.
- Kleinberg L, JPS Knisely, R Heitmiller, M Zahurak, R Salem, B Burtness, E Heath, AA Forastiere. Mature survival results with preoperative cisplatin, protracted infusion 5-FU, and 44Gy radiotherapy for esophageal cancer. Int J Rad Onc Biol Phys. 2003;56:328-334.
- Bleickardt E, R Rich, A Argiris, K Blum, A McKeon, H Tara, D Zelterman, G Tansino, B Burtness, MJ Davies, JR Murren. Phase I dose escalation trial of docetaxel plus irinotecan in patients with advanced cancer. Cancer Biol Ther. 2002;1:646-650.
- Murren JR, G Pizzorno, SA DiStasio, A McKeon, K Peccerillo, A Gollerkeri, W MacMurran, BA Burtness, T Rutherford, X Li, PT Ho, A Sartorelli. Phase I study of perillyl alcohol in patients with refractory malignancies. Cancer Biol Ther. 2002;1:130-135.
- Murren JR, K Peccerillo, SA DiStasio, X Li, JJ Leffert, G Pizzorno, BA Burtness, A McKeon, Y-c Cheng. Dose escalation and pharmacokinetic study of irinotecan in combination with paclitaxel in patients with advanced cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2000;46:43-50.
- Burtness B, M Belker, M Stoltz, KM Peccerillo, LA Lamb, SE Chmael, A McKeon, MB Clark, J Winship, JC Marsh, G Pizzorno, VT DeVita Jr. A phase I study of the antimetabolite (e)-2’-fluoromethylene-2’-deoxycytidine administered as a twice weekly infusion. Cancer J Sci Am. 2000;6:309-315.
- Heath EI, BA Burtness, RF Heitmiller, R Salem, L Kleinberg, J Knisely, SC Yang, MA Talamini, HS Kaufman, MI Canto, T-T Wu, K Olukayode, AA Forastiere. Phase II evaluation of pre-operative chemoradiation and post- adjuvant chemotherapy for squamous cell and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18:868.
- Baselga J, D Pfister, MR Cooper, R Cohen, B Burtness, M Bos, G D'Andrea, A Seidman, L Norton, K Gunnett, J Falcey, V Anderson, H Waksal, J Mendelsohn. Phase I studies of anti-epidermal growth factor receptor chimeric monoclonal antibody C225 alone and in combination with cisplatin. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18:904.
- Burtness BA, A Psyrri, M Rose, E D'Andrea, C Staugaard-Hahn, M Henderson-Bakas, S Mechanic, D Krause, E Snyder, R Corringham, A Deisseroth, DL Cooper. A phase I study of paclitaxel for mobilization of stem cells. Bone Marrow Transplant. 1999;23:311-315.
- Pizzorno G, L Yee, BA Burtness, JC Marsh, JW Darnowski, MYW Chu, SH Chu, E Chu, JJ Leffert, RE Handschumacher, P Calabrisi. Phase I clinical and pharmacological studies of benzylacyclouridine (BAU), a uridine phosphorylase inhibitor. Clin Cancer Res. 1998;4:1165-1175.
- Murren JR, S Anderson , J Fedele, G Pizzorno, D Belliveau, D Zelterman, BA Burtness, I Tocino, D Beidler, YC Cheng. Dose escalation and pharmacodynamic study of topotecan in combination with cyclophosphamide in patients with refractory cancer. J Clin Onco 1997;15:148-157.
Case Reports and Letters
- Moss J and B Burtness. Images in Medicine: Cetuximab-associated acneiform rash. N Engl J Med 2005;353:e17.
- Noronha V, B Burtness, J Murren, TP Duffy. Oxaliplatin induces a delayed immune hemolytic anemia: A case report and review of the literature. Clin Colorectal Ca. 2005;5:283-6.
- Rimm DL, Giltnane JM, Moeder C, Harigopal M, Chung GG, Camp RL, Burtness B. Bimodal population or pathologist artifact? Correspondence. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:2487-8.
- Burtness BA. Advanced gastric cancer: new treatments raise new questions. Gastrointestinal Cancer Res. 2008;2:150-1.
Chapters, Reviews and Commentaries
- Shanbhag S and B Burtness. “Antibody-based Therapies for Solid Tumors,” in Cancer Management in Man: Chemotherapy, Biological Therapy, Hyperthermia and Supporting Measures; Volume 10 in Cancer Progression, B Minev, Editor, Springer Science and Business Media, Dordrecht, 2010 (In press).
- Psyrri A, Burtness B. Targeted therapies: Molecular selection for 'smart' study design in lung cancer. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2010; 7:621-2.
- Khorana AA and B Burtness. Cancer biology and etiology. Chapter 54 in Andreoli’s and Carpenter’s Cecil Essentials of Medicine, 8th edition, Saunders, 2009.
- Ratushny V, Astsaturov I, Burtness BA, Golemis EA, Silverman JS. Targeting EGFR resistance networks in Head and Neck Cancer. Cell Signaling 2009; 21:1255-68.
- Burtness B, M Anadkat, S Basti, M Hughes, ME Lacouture, JS McClure, PM Myskowski, J Paul, CS Perlis, L Saltz, S Spencer. NCCN Task Force Report: Management of Dermatologic and Other Toxicities Associated with EGFR Inhibition in Patients with Cancer. J Natl Compr Ca Network 2009; 7: S5-21.
- Faller B and B Burtness. Treatment of pancreatic cancer with epidermal growth factor receptor-targeted therapy. Biologics: Targets Ther 2009; 1:107-116.
- Shanbhag S and B Burtness. Docetaxel and irinotecan combination chemotherapy in advanced esophageal cancer. Eur J Clin Med Oncol 2009 (in press).
- Psyrri A, Burtness B, Harari PM, et al. Head and Neck Cancer. J Oncol 2009; 2009:358098.
- Psyrri A and B Burtness. Viruses in head and neck cancer: prevention and therapy. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2008; 8:1365-71.
- Forastiere AA, Ang KK, Brizel D, Brockstein BE, Burtness BA, Cmelak AJ, Colevas AD, Dunphy F, Eisele DW, Goepfert H, Hicks WL Jr, Kies MS, Lydiatt WM, Maghami E, Martins R, McCaffrey T, Mittal BB, Pfister DG, Pinto HA, Posner MR, Ridge JA, Samant S, Schuller DE, Shah JP, Spencer S, Trotti A 3rd, Weber RS, Wolf GT, Worden F. Head and neck cancers. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2008; 6:646-95.
- Psyrri A, Prezas L, Burtness B. Oropharyngeal cancer. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 2008; 6:604-12.
- Khorana AA and BA Burtness. Cancer etiology. Chapter 54 In Andreoli and Carpenter's Cecil Essentials of Medicine, 7th edition, Saunders, 2007.
- Khorana AA and BA Burtness. Principles of cancer therapy. Chapter 56 In Andreoli and Carpenter's Cecil Essentials of Medicine, 7th edition, Saunders, 2007.
- Forastiere AA and BA Burtness. EGFR inhibition in head and neck cancer – more insights but more questions: editorial. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25:2152-5.
- Burtness B. Clinical use in colorectal cancer of monoclonal antibodies to the epidermal growth factor receptor. Oncology 2007; 21:964-970.
- Burtness B. HER signaling in pancreatic cancer. Expert Opinion Biol Ther 2007; 7: 823-9.
- Mehra R and B Burtness. Antibody therapy for early stage breast cancer - trastuzumab adjuvant & neoadjuvant trials. Expert Opinion Biol Ther 2006; 6:951-62.
- Cohen S and B Burtness. Novel targets in pancreatic cancer: focus on future paths to therapy. Expert Opinion Ther Target 2006; 10:771-775.
- Burtness B. Editorial: Cetuximab and cisplatin for chemotherapy-refractory squamous cell cancers of the head and neck: editorial. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23:5440-5442.
- Burtness B. The role of cetuximab in squamous cell cancer of the head and neck. Emerging Opinion Biol Ther 2005; 5:1085-1093.