Carolyn J. Heckman, PhD
Office Phone: 215-214-3962
Office: Young Pavilion, Room 4163
Dr. Heckman's research program goals are to develop, evaluate, and disseminate innovative interventions to improve cancer risk and risk-reduction behaviors. Her current focus is on primary prevention of skin cancer, and a second interest area is tobacco cessation. Dr. Heckman is a licensed counseling psychologist and runs FCCC's employee and family tobacco cessation program (ASAP: the All Smoking Aside Program. Dr. Heckman has had several research projects funded by grants from the NCI and ACS including her current NCI R01: A Tailored Internet Intervention for Skin Cancer Risk Reduction among Young Adults.Description of research projects
Fox Chase Programs
- Heckman CJ, Darlow S,* Kloss, JD, Cohen-Filipic, J, Manne SL, Munshi T, & Perlis, CB (in press). Measurement of tanning dependence. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology.
- Heckman CJ, Darlow S,* Manne SL, Kashy D, Munshi T (in press). Correspondence and Correlates of Couples’ Skin Cancer Screening. JAMA Dermatology.
- Heckman CJ, Cohen-Filipic, J, Darlow S,* Kloss, JD, Manne SL, & Munshi T (2013 - Epub ahead of print). Psychiatric and addictive symptoms of young adult female indoor tanners. American Journal of Health Promotion. PMID:23621780
- Heckman CJ, Zhu F, Kloss JD, Manne SL, Collins B, Bass SB, & Lessin SL. Process and outcomes of a skin protection intervention for young adults. Journal of Health Psychology. 2013; April; 18(4):561 – 573. Epub 2012 Jul 27. PMID:22843632. PMCID:PMC3485419
- Heckman CJ, Darlow S*, Cohen-Filipic J, Kloss JD, Manne SL, Munshi T, Perlis, C. Psychosocial correlates of sunburn among young adult women. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Special Issue – Sunbathing Habits and Skin Cancer. 2012; June;9(6):2241-2251. PMID:22829801. PMCID: PMC3397375 6.
- Heckman CJ, Manne SL, Kloss JD, Bass SB, Collins BN, Lessin SR. Beliefs and intentions for skin protection and UV exposure in young adults. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2011 Nov;35(6):699-711. PMID:22251761. PMCID: PMC3261496.
- Heckman CJ & Coups EJ. Correlates of sunscreen use among high school students: A cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health. 2011 Aug;11:679. PMID:21884577. PMCID: PMC3179453.
- Heckman CJ, Egleston BL, Hofmann, MT*. Efficacy of motivational interviewing for smoking cessation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Tobacco Control. 2010 Oct;19(5):410-16. Epub 2010 Jul 30. PMID: 20675688. PMCID: PMC2947553.