Pamela Shapiro, PhD
Assistant Research Professor
Office Phone: 215-214-4279
Office: Robert C. Young Pavillion, 4th fl. Rm. 4141
- Shapiro, PJ. Cancer brain fog. Coping with Cancer Magazine, 2010;24(3), 8. http://copingmag.com/cwc/index.php/feature_article/cancer_brain_fog/
- Lai J, Butt Z, Wagner L, Sweet J, Beaumont L, Vardy J, Jacobsen P, Shapiro PJ, Jacobs S, Cella D. Evaluating the dimensionality of perceived cognitive function: An illustration using the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy – Cognitive Function (FACT-Cog). Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2009;37:982-95. PubMed
- Kenen RH, Shapiro PJ, Friedman S, Hansoo L, Coyne JC. Women with BRCA1/2 mutations renegotiating a post-prophylactic mastectomy identity: Self-image and self-disclosure. Journal of Genetic Counseling, 2007;16:789–98. PubMed
- Kenen RH, Shapiro PJ, Friedman S, Coyne JC. Peer-support in coping with medical uncertainty: Discussion of prophylactic oophorectomy and hormone replacement therapy on a web-based message board. Psycho-Oncology, 2007;16:763-71. PubMed
- Shapiro PJ, Jacobs LA, Palmer SC, Coyne JC, Meadows AT, Vaughn DJ. Neurocognitive function in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings. 23 (Suppl. 16), 8034. 2005. JCO
- Coyne JC, Palmer SC, Shapiro PJ. Prescribing antidepressants to advanced cancer patients with mild depressive symptoms is not justified: Response to Fisch et al. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2004;22:205-6. PubMed
- Coyne JC, Palmer SC, Shapiro PJ, Thompson, R. Distress, psychiatric morbidity, and prescriptions for psychotropic medication in a breast cancer waiting room sample. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2004;26,121-8. PubMed
- Shapiro PJ, Coyne JC, Kruus LK, Palmer SC, Malkowicz SB, Vaughn DJ. Interest in services among prostate cancer patients receiving androgen deprivation therapy. Psycho-Oncology, 2004;13:512-25. PubMed
- Sullivan PA, Shapiro PJ, Thompson R. Psychological reactions to terrorist attacks: Response to Schlenger et al. Journal of the American Medical Association, 288, 2684. 2002. PubMed
- Shapiro PJ, Weisberg RW. Positive affect and creativity: Symptom of psychopathology or component of creative process? Bulletin of Psychology and the Arts. 2000;1:58-61.
- Shapiro PJ, Weisberg RW. Creativity and bipolar diathesis: Common behavioural and cognitive components. Cognition and Emotion, 1999;13:741-62.
- Shapiro PJ, German R, Barsevick A, Swaby R, Goldstein L, Miller S. Pretreatment Cognitive Function in Women Newly Diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Paper presented at the Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 41,S61. April 2011.
- Shapiro PJ, Palmer SC, Coyne JC, Wagner LI, Egleston B, DeMichele A. Perceived Cognitive Function & Quality of Life among Breast Cancer Survivors. Poster presented at the 4th Biennial Cancer Survivorship Research Conference:Mapping the New Challenges, Atlanta. June 2008.
- Shapiro PJ, Vogel W. The reality of Cognitive Dysfunction in Cancer. Educational seminar presented at the Oncology Nursing Society Annual Congress, Las Vegas. April 2007.
- Shapiro PJ, Butterfield LC, Beister RC, Coyne JC, Vaughn DJ. Androgen deprivation therapy is not associated with cognitive impairment. Poster presented at the Association for Psychological Science Annual Convention, Washington, D.C. May 2007.
- Shapiro PJ, Kenen RH, Friedman S, Hantsoo L, Coyne JC. Decisions surrounding prophylactic mastectomy and breast resonstruction:Stories of grief, relief, and empowerment on a web-based message board. Paper presented at Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 29, S29. March 2006.
- Shapiro PJ, Jacobs, LA, Palmer SC, Coyne JC, Vaughn DJ. Neurocognitive function and quality of life in long-term survivors of testicular cancer. Paper presented at the Pennsylvania Cancer Control Consortium 2006 Research Summit, Harrisburg. November 2006.
- Shapiro PJ, Coyne JC, Butterfield LC, Plotkin RC, Malkowicz SB, Vaugh DJ. Cognitive performance, psychological distress, and quality of life mong men receiving androgen deprivation therapy for treatment of prostate cancer. Paper presented at the Society of Behavioral Medicine Annual Meeting. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 27, S170. March 2004.