Yu-Ning Wong, MD, MSCE
Advances in translational research have led to new and promising treatments for patients with localized and advanced cancers. My research focuses on the utilization of these new treatments and what factors may influence patient choices. While these therapies provide hope for patients with serious illnesses, many can be costly for both individual patients and society. In addition, treatments can be associated with toxicities which may be mild for some but unacceptable for others. I am interested in understanding how to best utilize these new treatment to utilize these resources is a manner which optimizes treatment outcomes.
My research interests are based on my experiences as a medical oncologist. Our role is to discuss available treatments and help them arrive at a decision that best suits their suits their preferences. As an active clinical investigator, I participate in trials of new agents for patients with advanced urothelial, prostate and renal cell cancers. I encourage my patients to participate in these studies, which allow us to understand the both the benefits and risks of new treatments. I am also interested in using large administrative datasets to answer questions that cannot be answered in traditional clinical trials.Description of research projects
- Wong Y, Hamilton O, Egleston B, Salador K, Murphy C, Meropol NJ. Understanding how out of pocket expenses, treatment value and patient characteristics influence treatment choices. The Oncologist. 2010;15(6):566-76.
- Kutikov A, Egleston BL, Wong YN, Uzzo RG, Evaluating Overall Survival and Competing Risks of Death in Patients with Localized Renal Cell Carcinoma Using a Comprehensive Nomogram. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010 Jan 10;28(2):311-7.
- Earle CC, Weiser MR, Shibata S, Skibber JM, Wilson J, Rajput A, Wong Y, Romanus DK, TerVeer A, Schrag S,Effect of lymph node retrieval rates on the utilization of adjuvant chemotherapy in stage II colon cancer. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2009 Dec 1;100(7):525-8.
- Wong, Y, Freedland SJ, Egleston B, Vapiwala N, Uzzo RG, Armstrong K, The Role of Primary Androgen Deprivation Therapy in Localized Prostate Cancer. European Urology. 2009 Oct: 56(4): 609-16.
- Putt M, Long JA, Montagnet C, Silber JH, Chang VW, Liao KJ, Schwartz JS, Pollack CE, Wong YN, Armstrong K Racial Differences in the Impact of Comorbidities on Survival among Elderly Men with Prostate Cancer. Medical Care Research Review. 2009 Aug;66(4):409-35.
- Wong YN, Speier, W, Meropol NJ, Sargent D, Goldberg RM, Beck JR, Cost Implications of New Treatments for Colorectal Cancer. Cancer. 2009 May 15;115(10):2081-91.
- Egleston B, Wong Y, Sensitivity analysis to investigate the impact of a missing covariate on survival analyses using cancer registry data. Statistics in Medicine. 2009, Feb 23;28(10):1498-1511.
- Scoll BJ, Wong YN, Egleston B, Kunkle DA, Saad IR, Uzzo RG Age, Tumor Size, and Relative Survival in Localized Renal Cell Carcinoma. Journal of Urology. 2009 Feb 181(2):506.
- Wong Y, Freedland SJ, Egleston BL, Hudes GR , Schwartz JS, Armstrong K. The Role of Androgen Deprivation Therapy in Node Positive Prostate Cancer.” Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2009 Jan 1;27(1):100-5.
- Hassett, MJ, Hughes ME, Niland JC, Edge SB, Theriault RL, Wong Y, Wilson J, Carter WB, Blayney, DW, Weeks JC, Chemotherapy use for hormone receptor positive, lymph node negative breast cancer, Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2008 Dec 1;26(34):5553-60.
- Litwin, S, Wong Y, Hudes G. Early Stopping Designs Based on Progression Free Survival at an Early Time Point in the Initial Cohort. Statistics in Medicine. 2007 Oct 30;26(24):4400-15.
- Wong Y, Mitra N, Hudes G, Localio, R, Schwartz JS, Wan F, Montagnet C, Armstrong K. Survival Associated with Treatment vs. Observation of Localized Prostate Cancer in Elderly Men. JAMA 2006. Dec 13;296(22):2683-93.
- Massaro T, Wong Y. Positive Experiences with Medical Savings Accounts in Singapore. Health Affairs 1995. Summer;14(2):267-72.