Volunteers' Annual Gift to Fox Chase Cancer Center Exceeds $.5 Million -- Largest-Ever Donation from Board of Associates and Member Groups
PHILADELPHIA (November 30, 1998) -- Fox Chase Cancer Center's Board of Associates and its seven member organizations recently made their annual donations to the Center, adding up to a total of $545,814. This is the largest annual gift made to Fox Chase since the Board was founded in 1965. The groups' cumulative giving now exceeds $8,368,800.
Board of Associates chapters represent more than 700 volunteers who conduct fund-raising and educational activities in support of the Center. Their collective donation will support Fox Chase research, patient care and specially designated projects, including the Prevention Pavilion under construction, the Board of Associates' postdoctoral fellowship and the nursing scholarship fund.
The latest gift includes $86,500 from the Board of Associates itself, which serves as a planning, coordinating and advisory board for the independent member organizations. The Trading Post, a group operating a highly successful thrift and consignment shop in Paoli, Pa., gave $186,000. The Bucks County Chapter gave $93,000, an all-time high for that organization.
Other contributions included $75,000 from the Friends of the Hospital of Fox Chase Cancer Center, $40,000 from the Marlyn R. Fein Chapter, $35,000 from the Fox Chase Chapter and $10,314 from the Montgomery County Friends. The Frances Borowsky Chapter, the newest member organization of the Board of Associates, donated $20,000. The chapter, which affiliated with the Board in 1997, honors the memory of a woman who died of cancer in 1958.
Fox Chase Cancer Center is one of 34 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the nation. The Center's activities include basic and clinical research; prevention, detection and treatment of cancer; and community outreach programs.
Fox Chase Cancer Center, part of the Temple University Health System, is one of the leading cancer research and treatment centers in the United States. Founded in 1904 in Philadelphia as one of the nation’s first cancer hospitals, Fox Chase was also among the first institutions to be designated a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Center in 1974. Fox Chase researchers have won the highest awards in their fields, including two Nobel Prizes. Fox Chase physicians are also routinely recognized in national rankings, and the Center’s nursing program has received the Magnet recognition for excellence four consecutive times. Today, Fox Chase conducts a broad array of nationally competitive basic, translational, and clinical research, with special programs in cancer prevention, detection, survivorship, and community outreach. For more information, call 1-888-FOX CHASE or (1-888-369-2427).
Media inquiries only, please contact Jeremy Moore at 215-728-2700.