Fox Chase Cancer Center Recognized at May 6th Philadelphia City Council Meeting; Resolution Recognizes Centennial of the Nation's First Cancer Hospital
PHILADELPHIA (May 5, 2004) -- Philadelphia City Councilmen Jack Kelly and Brian O'Neill will introduce a resolution in City Council recognizing Fox Chase Cancer Center's 100th anniversary and 100 years of progress against cancer. The resolution will be presented during the city council meeting on Thursday, May 6 at 10:00 a.m. to Fox Chase president Robert C. Young, MD, and Fox Chase chairman of the board, William Avery.
Originally called American Oncologic Hospital, the Hospital of Fox Chase Cancer Center was chartered on November 7, 1904 as the nation's first cancer hospital. It opened two months later on January 4, 1905, at 45th and Chestnut Streets in West Philadelphia. Since that time, the institution has remained a national leader in cancer care.
The Hospital grew from the vision and optimism of the 13 business and professional men who founded it. Their charter established "a hospital for the study of the cause, treatment and prevention of cancer and other tumors, and the dissemination of knowledge of these subjects; for the treatment and care of persons affected with cancer and other tumors. The benefits shall be administered without regard to race, creed or color."
Only six years after its doors opened, the Hospital outgrew the clinical space provided by the Victorian home, which served as the original hospital. The American Oncologic Hospital relocated in 1911 to 33rd Street and Powelton Avenue in Philadelphia.
In 1967, construction of a new hospital began on the Fox Chase campus in Northeast Philadelphia, and the American Oncologic Hospital moved to its current location in 1968. Today, the 100-bed hospital remains one of the few facilities in the country devoted entirely to cancer care.
Fox Chase Cancer Center was formed in July 1974 by the union of the American Oncologic Hospital and the Institute for Cancer Research. Founded in 1925, the Institute for Cancer Research moved to its current location on the Fox Chase campus in 1949.
In October 1974, Fox Chase became one of the first institutions to receive the National Cancer Institute's elite designation as a comprehensive cancer center. This distinction recognizes excellence in integrating strong basic and clinical research programs with programs of cancer treatment and detection, cancer control and community outreach efforts, and cancer prevention research and services.
Fox Chase Cancer Center, part of the Temple University Health System, is one of the leading cancer research and treatment centers in the United States. Founded in 1904 in Philadelphia as one of the nation’s first cancer hospitals, Fox Chase was also among the first institutions to be designated a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Center in 1974. Fox Chase researchers have won the highest awards in their fields, including two Nobel Prizes. Fox Chase physicians are also routinely recognized in national rankings, and the Center’s nursing program has received the Magnet recognition for excellence four consecutive times. Today, Fox Chase conducts a broad array of nationally competitive basic, translational, and clinical research, with special programs in cancer prevention, detection, survivorship, and community outreach. For more information, call 1-888-FOX CHASE or (1-888-369-2427).